Cooling Water Cooling, Temps....?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trenthan, 23 Nov 2010.

1. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Ey guys, just a few questions that are monsterly overdue!

I live in australia, so the std temp is a little higher in general. I work in typically an environment of
    30C, not air-con in mi room

At the start of the year i went water cooling to reduce the temp of the system to be a little safer.

I havent payed much attention to it through-out the year but summer is just around the corner. First week of constant 30C.

Cut a long storey short.
    I run a core i7 920,
    Swifttech triple radiator
    swiftech pump,
    also swifttech water block, Swiftech Apogee cpu water block

using the computer for normal use it sits at around 40C
    I've been running prime 95, for less than 5 mins and it has jumpted to 60C and now its sitting at 62-65C

Im quite sure a year ago this wasnt the case becuase i would have tested it and psoted something. Just odd i havent changed much and it seems to run very warm!

Any ideas as to the cause????

2. Trenthan

sorry forgot to add

I have read the articles on "Watercooling Fluid Shootout" and various others etc.

I did note that at a 16 ambient temp and cpu jumped to 40-45C after running for 90 minutes

If im sitting at 30-35 ambient, a 25-30C increase is in line with the temp increase seen in the "water cooling fluid shootout" article.

btw the fluid im using is PC-ICE, (non conductive coolant) any1 with experiance with it?

ideas any1?

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

that sounds fine to me, i have practically the same loop as you, just mine uses a different rad and includes the gpu. My temps on my oc'd cpu are very simular to yours, and i live in bristol, which is fairly cold... I don't think you should really worry, your temps are fine.

As for fluid i use just lain distilled water, as i've read many times that premixed fluid can go gunky after awhile and clogg up your blocks, so this may have happened to you. You'd only find out by taking apart your blocks and looking...

Ps. On my phone so i'm sorry about the spellig and grammar errors...

4. Trenthan

My processor is at stock. 2.6Ghz atvm, how much is your's OC'ed, since that effects the heat obviously....

I can top it up to 3.8-4.2Ghz, which i do only when i require the processing power for some of my engineering software. but with the temps im quite iffy even about doing that....

From memory the critical temp is like 65-70 :S for the 920 processor

EDIT***
    Also reading another post, "New Build Seems Hot", in the hardware section
    My temps seem to match his before he noticed the plastic on the bot of the cpu. I know i removed that for a fact since i remember it driving me nuts clearly....

BTW still running prime 95, 40 minutes on and everything is solid 62-63 degrees C

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Your temps are fine mid 60's is nothing to worry about neither is 30-35 idle. Thats what I get at stock speeds on my 940 that goes up about 5 degree's @4 GHz . I suppose I'm lucky as I don't have to put my voltage through mine to keep it stable .

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

At stock speeds the system in my sig runs at 17ºC above ambient with the HD4870's at idle. Although I have a bit more rad than you do I do have 2 GFX cards in the loop and I'd still expect your load temps to be a bit lower.

As mentioned above it's worth dismantling your block to make sure there's no gunk in it and that you've not used too much TIM when mounting. Also worth checking your rad and fans for dust buildup. When I had gunk in my block it increased load temps by nearly 10ºC.

My CPU isn't as good as others as it has a 37ºC rise above ambient at 4.2GHz load.

I use deionised water and copper sulphate in mine after a few bad experiences with Feser fluids.