Other Going to Berlin

Discussion in 'General' started by Dark~3nergy, 25 Nov 2010.

1. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

hai !

I'm going on a short holiday(4days) to Berlin in 2 weeks.
    And i need some suggestion on what i should do, what museum should i visit, what awesome thing should i see, what awesome german beer should i drink, etc...

so, if anybody here lives in berlin, or has visited berlin, suggest me some awesome stuffs to do ! :)
    I need some suggestions !!!

2. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Been to Berlin for the summer holidays

There actually isn't much to do around there. The Brandenburg gate and generally the area around it are the best places to visit.

Also if you've booked a hotel, make sure it's in west Berlin. East Berlin is very rough and our X3 got egged :grr:, There are at least 1 prostitute on every street, every morning and generally not a nice place to be at. We did have a computer store opposite our hotel (seen the Gainward 480 on display :S ) but they're rare. There aren't really any museums to visit but the one i did visit was quite small (sorry, but i forgot the name :( ). Homeless Gypsies (Romanians) wonder around holding a card up to you asking for money. Etc.

I seriously suggest that if you go to Germany again, visit Stuttgart and Hamburg. They seem more... Developed than the countrie's capital city and there's much more to see.

3. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

There's a big tower we looked at, that was pretty cool. As said, lots of Gypsies with cards asking for money, they'll ask "do you speak english" and if you respond will follow for ages trying to get money. We stayed on a campsite 1 overhead train stop from the main station, it was fantastic, probably more fun than Berlin actually was :lol:

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I've never actually been to Berlin, but I've heard there's loads of stuff to do? Easily enough for a week if not longer.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

6. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

The Pergamon is a pretty fantastic museum, I don't know if it's more well known elsewhere but I'd never heard of it before I this summer.

Live on a diet of gluhwein and bratwurst :D

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Even if where you are sucks, these will make any situation awesome.

Stuttgart is a much nicer place though...

8. MarkCuk

MarkCuk What's a Dremel?

Places to go (Daytime)
    Checkpoint charlie museum, the zoo, the reichstag, the brandenburg gate, Hitlers bunker, Soviet war memorial, Popes revenge(tv tower) olympic stadium, charlottenburg palace, any places where the wall is still there, Kaiser wilhelm church, tiergarten, Kurfurstendam, Ka De We(shop).

Places to go (night time)
    Irish pub(europa centre), Klo(theme pub), Mon cheri(if you like that sort of thing :naughty:) Any number of night clubs or cabaret, Just dont go back to the tiergarten after dark, as it becomes one of many red light districts.

Most of the places i have said should be googleable but i am going from memory quite a few years ago.
    hope this helps

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Germany around Christmastime is spectacular, went there on exchange about 3 years ago. Make sure you try the liebkuchen!

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Oh yeah, it's nearly Christmas...

Definitely make visiting the Christmas markets a priority, they're great. Lots of yummy food!

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Fixed.

12. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Berlin is a bit of a dive to be frank. I lived there for 9 months. Fun times though. Go to friedrichshain and get very very p1ssed would be my recommendation.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Plenty of decent places in Berlin, pick up the In Your Pocket Guide. Their guides are free, updated monthly-or-so and cover a lot of european cities.

There might not be enough in the city to fill 2 weeks, but if you think Berlin is a shithole you've not been and looked properly. Holocaust museum, B-berg gate, several other nice spots, and of course the ridiculous numbers of good beerhouses. There's a good beer guide for Germany that proved indispensable while we went touring over there, although that's not free.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I went there as a kid (and been planning on going again) and I can remember the tower being impressive, as well as the Checkpoint Charlie and Pergamon. Oh and zoo, if you're into those. I remember it being a good one as well, but that said I hadn't seen such a huge zoo before...