1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Quintessence - 29Jun-She's Live- CPU Magazine!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by voigts, 2 Mar 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice tip with the spray adhesive I'll be sure to try that method out some time :thumb:, good to see your on to your preferable material of choice stage of the mod too. :)

2. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

You can buy printable stick-on sheets for scrollworking, but since I don't have that available locally, I just went with the spray adhesive method. The nice thing about this adhesive is that it doesn't curl the paper at all. The paper stays flat.

3. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Dude don't make one hole in the wrong part or you're screwed. Anyway it'z nice to see you start the design even if your metal working was interesting.

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

WOOT! Yeah you back my friend and I will guess that.... you have a lot of work to do!! These are
    a lot of cuts there so I wish you good luck and patience!! ;) Mod on bro!

5. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I went through and drew dots with a pen to show where I should drill to try to prevent me from doing just that. Its easy to get confused when you start looking at all of this mess.

Tell me about it. I spent 2 hours today on the scrollsaw and this is what I got done.

[​IMG]

This is going to take a while...

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Just trow down a few red bull´s and get on with it:D

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Yeah, no kidding. I should probably get a case or two. Unfortunately I can't stand Red Bull. I don't know how people choke down that stuff.

Anyway, I spent a few more hours a couple of days ago, and hope to spend a couple today if I can. Its just slow going and there is no way around it.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thats good progress for just a couple of hours :thumb:, heck of an intricate piece to be done :jawdrop:.

Apparently redbull gives you wings but when I tried it, it made me twitchy & a bit mad :lol:.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

...Like using a scroll saw doesn't make your eyes jittery enough.:lol:
    This is going to be so cool.

10. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Front and Top Pieces Scrollwork Cutouts

I finally finished cutting the rest of the cutouts. Trying to scroll saw through 1 1/2” of Oak is no picnic (for those of you who have never used a scrollsaw, this type of work is usually done on 1/4” thick wood). I figured that cutting both the top and front pieces at once would reduce the time required.

I'm on the fence however as to whether or not I like the results so far. There are a lot of inconsistencies in the resulting pattern that I'm not sure I can straighten out to my satisfaction. I'm considering checking to see how much it would cost to have just the front and top patterns laser cut out of 1/4”, and modifying the front and top designs accordingly to incorporate the 1/4” patterns into the 3/4” panels. I'm going to see if I can fix them with some Dremeling first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by.

akibro, Javerh and Waynio like this.
  11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The imperfectness keeps it 100% unique & man made I think it's beautiful mate, sheer perfection is more often than not boring & lifeless, personally I wouldn't be so impressed with my mods if I got things cnc'd or laser cut because I wouldn't have had a struggle or gained manual skills doing it that way so I'd look at it & think oh an object that is replicable infinite amount of times whereas a hand made piece I can look at it & think holy sheet I just made that & it's a one of a kind :D, instant gratification doesn't work for me personally, I know it does for many but not me, on rare occasions it does though ;).

I do see the imperfections of some slightly inconsistant patterns but that is on a close up shot head on, overall & especially from a further view point I bet it looks really sweet, I think you've done an awesome job on it considering the thickness of the material.

But hmmmm I think if I wanted it all to be more symetrical I would work along with the errors & mirror them to make them look correct.

Sure is an ambitious bit of fret work though mate +rep.

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Wow. Just Wow. I'd like to try something like that someday.

13. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

It look sexy

14. Attila

Attila still thinking....

You're the boss but they look terrific to me. :thumb:

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the encouraging words. The hard part is that being a perfectionist, I tend to see all of the flaws and not the things done right. I can live with minor things so long as the overall product doesn't take a hit from them, and they don't bug me. I'll have to see what I can do with my Dremel and some files.

As meticulous as you are, I know you could do an excellent job at something like this, probably much better than me.

Thanks.

I know given the degree of perfectionism and attention to detail you show that you would never settle for them as they are.

There simply is no way that I know of to cut anything like this in 3/4" oak without a scrollsaw. I would think even a CNC would have a hard time getting the pointed edges in the cutouts.

RonanH and Spotswood like this.
  16. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

omg awesome...... :)

17. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

+1 on it looking awesome.

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

This is what I call gorgeous man, keep on modding!!! :)

19. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

WOW. Talk about skill! I need a scroll saw! This is incredible Gary!

20. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

How 'bout re-doing the scrollwork in 1/4-inch thick stock and then "inlaying" that into the thicker material?