1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Need help finding a monitor, LED, vesa mount, auto brightness?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SMILE_:D, 25 Dec 2010.

1. SMILE_:D

SMILE_:D What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm looking for a monitor with the following features:

Must have:
    LED Backlight
    Vesa Mountable
    22" to 20" (the smaller the better, nothing below 19")
    1920x1080 (1920x1200 is better)

One of these:
    Ambient Light sensor which controls the backlight
    or
    Brightness up and brightness down directly on the bezel, without the need to navigate within an osd.
    or
    Presets that can be switched with a single button press. Not presets which define text, gaming, movie, but presets that let me chose the RGB values

The monitor i found which came the closest was the LG E2250V-SN, but it isn't vesa mountable.

Price, £180 approx

Last edited: 26 Dec 2010
  2. SMILE_:D

Can anyone recommend me a 22" LCD with an ambient light sensor which is within my budget, vesa mount not required?

Or a vesa mountable 1920x1080 LCD, 22", (no ambient light sensor) with a thin bezel, i want a portrait multi monitor setup

3. Gener8

Gener8 nab

What will you be using the monitor for? :)

Your budget is pretty low so you're not going to be able to get a decent IPS panel, but you will easily be able to get all of those features within that budget. The only one I could find with a bracket was this 23'' panel.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-085-LG

4. SMILE_:D

Thats not vesa mountable, but the -sn version has the ambient light sensor
    http://www.gadgetreview.com/2010/06/lg-flatron-e2350v-23-inch-led-monitor-review.html
    http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-E2350V-SN.jsp

I've been using a TN display for the past 2 years so i'd be happy with one. I would like to avoid input lag and get a good pixel response time, so TN would be the best choice for me.

Any lcds with thin bezels within my price range without the light sensor?

5. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Have you been using it portrait? The viewing angles are pretty terrible at the best of times, but if you rotate the monitor 90 degrees the poor vertical viewing angles become poor horizontal viewing angles, so if you're not looking straight at it all the colours shift and the contrast is lost. This would especially be an issue if the display is acting as one of the side monitors in a multi-monitor setup.

6. Gener8

Gener8 nab

Most screens nowadays you will be able to find a wall bracket for, i've even got one for my PX2370 which doesn't even have anything to mount it on. As long as it has screw holes you'll be able to mount it somehow.

7. SMILE_:D

I'm so glad you mentioned this, i rotated my current lcd to portrait mode and i can clearly see the brightness change from left to right. Even moving my head a few inches to left greatly changes the brightness of the LCD.

I certainly don't have the space for 3 landscape 22" LCDs, and even 2 will be a tight fit. So i've decided to get a pair of LCDs and put them in portrait. Won't be as bad as having 3 side by side

Can you give more details on this?

8. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

This problem is common to all TN panels, which is one of the reasons IPS monitors are so much better. A less expensive compromise might be the BenQ EW2420, which has an MVA panel- not as good as an IPS, but quite cheap and better than a TN in this respect. Also has the VESA mounts and LED backlight, if that's what you want (colour accuracy is worse with the LEDs, though it does give a thinner, less power hungry monitor).

9. SMILE_:D

Thanks i'll report back when i've chosen one