1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Why does my computer freeze up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 29 Dec 2010.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Why does my computer freeze at random times? I would be using my computer like any other time. When all of a sudden my computer freezes up. I cannot access any programs. My mouse is not moving anywhere. I cannot use control/alt/delete. The only thing you can do is turn off your computer manually which is unsafe for your computer and causes you to lose any information were using at the time. Anyone who has experienced this knows how big of a pain a computer freeze is. And it is even worse for those who like me had this happening to them on a regular basis. It just seems to come out of nowhere and can be a huge nuisance. What could be the problem? Drivers/Bios/Registry?

2. Gener8

Gener8 nab

Does it completely freeze? As in when you wait it's just frozen forever? Do you bluescreen or anything else weird a lot?

EDIT: Oh, and does it freeze when doing a specific thing, so every time you have used a certain program it has frozen?

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking at your sig the 1'st thing I would say is make sure your overclock is stable, this might mean a tiny bit more voltage and then test it with prime 95. Running mem test to check the ram might help as well, could be a dodgy stick.

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

+1 to this. After how long does this happen though? And is this just a recent occurrence that's not happened before with you build?

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

It's the winter.

6. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

It is very random. I run prime for six hours everything seems good and stable. My max temp was @ 71 on its highest peak.

7. j.col

j.col Minimodder

if it was me, i would do a backup and then reinstall windows

8. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

And how would that help?

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Right on - what you're describing is a classic sign of CPU/memory over clocking instability.
    Only after checking EVERYTHING else first! Reinstalling is a pain in the bum!