CPU Thermal Insulation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TissieSaffie, 17 Jan 2011.

1. TissieSaffie

TissieSaffie What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I'm buying an Intel Core i7 CPU and have already got a Thermaltake Frio cooler. The cooler itself comes with a small tube of TIM, I was wondering if the CPU itself has a layer already applied, and if so should I remove it and apply the TIM that came with the Frio?

Cheers in advance,
    Gaz.

2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

The CPU should not and amost certainly will not have TIM already applied.

3. TissieSaffie

Ok, thanks.

I was thinking my old Athlon64 had a layer applied covered with an adhesive plastic cover, but with hindsight I think it was the stock cooler that had it already applied!

4. Infring

Infring What's a Dremel?

Yeah my stock amd for my x3 came with tim allrdy applied but after market cpu coolers almost never come with it appled. Maybe the stock i7 one will come with it applied but that will just be on the heat sink If it has. Which doesnt matter since u wont be useing it

5. TissieSaffie

I've bought a Thermaltake Frio for cooling purposes and that has a small tube of TIM already with it. Should I just use that instead of the other Intel stuff? How do I put it on and spread it etc? never done it before that's all!!

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I never use the stuff that comes with the coolers but they have improved nowdays.

I alway place a large grain of rice sized bit in the center of the cpu and install the cooler before tightening it fully twist the cooler to the right then to the left and center it and fully tighten the screws works great.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 I bought for a friend came with it pre applied!

8. Infring

Infring What's a Dremel?

If uve gone to the trouble of geting a after market cpu cooler like the frio id go to the trouble of useing some good thermal paste such as the arctic silver 5 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products . The stuff that usualy comes with them is pants although im not sure what comes with the frio and might be ok. For instructions, do what the guy above said.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011