1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which games are you looking forward to in 2011?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Orca, 31 Dec 2010.

1. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

in no particular order

DOW2 Retribution
    Space Marine
    Dark Millennium Online (bye bye life)
    Arkham City
    Portal 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Deus Ex (dear god it'd best be better than invisible war)
    Max Payne 3

anyone spot the theme here?

2. rosovey

rosovey What's a Dremel?

Just Rift for me, been awhile since there was an MMO that interested me

3. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

I almost forgot about this, and you're right, Rift looks quite interesting.

4. planetary

planetary What's a Dremel?

Played BETAs 3 & 4 for RIFT and I must say I am really excited for this.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wow - Rift was completely off my radar - looks good. The graphics remind me of LOTRO (a compliment by the way!).

I have not looked through all the articles on their web page, but what do you think will make this one stand out? They mention a revolutionary class system, but I am not sure what that actually means.

We have had quite a few MMORPGs in the last few years and they all seem to lose my interest after a week or so - apart from LOTRO (but as I am a long time fan of Tolkien's works then that is not surprising).

6. planetary

Their class system is rather interesting basically you have the standard Archetypes which you choose. Either; Warrior, Mage, Cleric or Rogue and within each of these archetypes there are 8 different souls (Classes) you can choose from.
    As you level up, on Beta 4 by around level 6 you can choose up to 3 souls per character, which means you can create your own class so to speak.

For example my main soul was Necromancer, which is pet class and as my support souls I chose a Warlock and Chloromancer. Warlock gave me more DoTs and direct damage spells while the Chloromancer is a mage healer which heals as you deal damage, as well as having some direct heals.
    It's a brilliant system but can make it a bit daunting when first playing.

Another different thing compared to MMOs I've played is that you don't gain spells as you level and get specific spells at specific levels, you learn the spells as you put points in the soul tree so the more points you have in one tree the more spells you have so to speak.

Another thing which makes it unique which is similar to certain aspects of WAR are the RIFTs and Invasion. These are areas of the map where elite NPCs storm the zone and players have to kill them before these NPCs take over settlements and Quest Hubs and they actually stay there until you re take the settlement. Even if you're not in a group or raid of players while clearing these mobs you'll get rewards based on the damage you do / take or the amount of healing you do and it's all calculated and you can see a 'leader board' type thing at the end of every RIFT / Invasion showing the players who received the most points and more points = more prizes.

Hope this helps I've quickly typed up this summary over morning coffee so I'm not fully awake yet lol.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Sounds very interesting indeed. Is the beta still open?

8. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Warhammer 40K: Retribution
    Crysis 2
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Portal 2

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

ESV.

10. planetary

I believe there are 3 more beta events until the game is released on the 1st March.

The next beta event starts on 26th January, you can apply for the beta on the RIFT website.

11. Arcadiu

Arcadiu What's a Dremel?

Fifa 12 if EA pull their finger out and stop ripping us footballer gamers off! Can't wait for Rugby 2012 as well! Shall be a smashing game!

12. ednaOviedo

ednaOviedo What's a Dremel?

Crysis 2
    Age of Empire Online

13. Ljs

Ljs Modder

SWTOR.

'Nuff said.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Project Dark is my only contribution. Spiritual successor to Demon's Souls.

BF3 will take up a disgustingly large amount of my life. Skyrim will also snag a fair deal.

Diablo 3 isn't so much excitement for the game as it is for playing a decent dungeon crawler. It's my backup game if Torchlight 2 flops.
    Very excited for this. It will take up the rest of my life that somehow slips free of BF3.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

torchlight 2
    diablo 3
    star wars knights of old republic

rest is all meh

mass effect 3 perhaps to see ending

as for rifts

you didnt play star trek i guess? as the invasion stuff is no diffrent to star treks leaderboard system. and its main problem dps were always top as it was based on dmg done and not healing taken or tanking done.

character creation system is brilliant no dout. Problem

MMOs live or die by there end game content, Rifts probably wont have alot on release. So people will get bored then quit then rifts will die. As its not been aimed as a PVP game. Im hoping like i was with star trek that its delayed till year end so they can make some content.

Star trek online is now a decent MMO that has alot of content to keep you occupied with i quit 2 weeks after release with nothing to do. went back a few months ago for a laugh and it was alot diffrent quit again as was outta time.

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I know this isn't the thread to debate about it but, I really can't see the appeal of Torchlight.

I played the 1st one for about 14+ hours and was nothing but dissapointed.

All the traits of trying to imitate an MMO without anything to back it up. The story-line was non existant, the levels/maps/dungeons, all the same. The gear was... a joke.

I can't see any positives. Its the repetition of a bad MMO in a pretty awful single player game.

17. SigmaVolt

SigmaVolt What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to some more racing games, DiRT 3 and Forza 4 in particular. I believe Codemasters are also making a GRID 2 as well, not sure if it's a 2011 release.
    Also Shogun 2 in a few weeks, hope it pulls me back to Total War, after Empire was a bit...meh for me.