Gaming Critical Hit: Return of the WoW Killer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I have heard from a few people that DCUO is good but clearly not complete.

Unfortunatly now if a game wants to be a WoW killer, then the game has to be polished more than any MMO has before, including when WoW was first released. All the other games mentioend in the article lacked content in major areas, PVP,Questing, PVE. This is why they have failed to live up to the hype, although on their own are I am sure very good games.

It is going to take a huge title to rival WoW. That MAY be Star Wars: The old republic. Since sony messed up SWG and fed all those people into WoW's hands back in 2005, people have been yearning for a good new star wars MMO, and SWTOR looks prettty good. I just hope bioware really does properly finish it off and not release too soon.

3. Faunus

Faunus What's a Dremel?

DCUO, while being an MMO, is clearly a completely different kind of MMO to World of Warcraft.

It's a much more casual game, and is designed with that feel about it - especially seeing as a lot if not all instances can be done by yourself. WoW can require some serious comitment to see it through, and requires a lot of teamplay to see the all the content.

The very next challenger to WoW, in my eyes, is Rift (previously Rfit: Planes of Telara). You just need to look at the list of developers that have been working on it to understand why this is the case - a number of them worked on EQ / EQ2. And if the most recent beta is anything to go by (which by the way, was excellent), I think it a serious contender - if not to take the crown, then take the disillusions WoW players, at least.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I see what you did there!

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

The reports I've read on this game call it monotonous at best, and with the level cap at 30 right now it can be completed in a month (free with the initial purchase) so long term subscribers seem unlikely.

I think this is as far off being a WoW killer as you can get, did anyone related to the game ever call it as such? To me it seems like it was never the purpose of this game and just because it was a MMO you dubbed it as such to write a piece that's been sitting in your head. Although I will admit a MMO in the console market is interesting, but would be a lot more so if it was actually a good game.

6. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

by the time a MMO does come out to truly challenge WoW, Blizzard will have their next 1 out and anything Blizzard brings out is bound to get a bucket load of attention.
    Somebody really needs to think outside of the box to come up with a brilliant MMO, unfortunately all we get is clones with different graphic styles.

Personally i don't want a better WoW, i want something that's completely different from it.

7. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

DC online is pretty unique............................... Not saying its a wow beater, but it surely is a good idea. Its hardly a clone.

8. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

"because "most game genres" are better suited to the intimacy of sitting in front of a PC monitor than the expansiveness of a 50in plasma TV in the lounge"

FIXED

I have a 60" 1080p and hugely prefer the immersiveness of my PCs 24" 120hz LCD.

AS for the article WoW kills itself in time. It took me 5 year but I can't stand it anymore and now realize I've missed a ton of geat single player games that provide more entertainment than WoW.

9. RickTheSnake

RickTheSnake What's a Dremel?

i think the publishers in the past did take the wrong path. First and foremost, wow is unbeatable because is the most polished, vast, and populated mmo OF HIS KIND on the earth. If all your friends play wow, why you should go play yourself another game with strangers? And why your friends should leave months, even years of hard earned equip, skill and such for a new game that doesn't offer at least the same amount of polish, balance, and fun? The only way an mmo can not beat - that's impossible - but at least stand on an equal footing with wow, is by offering a radically different kind of experience that can appeal to all the people out there (including myself) for who WoW simply isn't their thing, because of a thing or another. I, for example, don't have the time nor the will to engage in the extremely time consuming and hard to learn endgame content - that accidentally is the part of the game that is universally spoken of as the best; i'm not interested in the pvp 'cause for that i prefer fps, and finally the game has not the great storyline or unique visuals that could convince me to just play the quests all the way to lv85. As far as i know, the only project that promises exatly what i talk about is guild wars 2: an enormous focus on visual art, deep storyline, soundtrack for the main quest with touches of style like the ever-changing events in each area, all of this with the traditional cornerstones of the genre, like vast amounts of loot and different equip for who wants to farm it, not to mention the lack of monthly fee. that's why i think that it will have success: because instead of pretending to be the WoW killer, it wants to be something different and yet equally polished and with all the things that mmo players expect to be able to do.

10. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

I think Lineage II is WoW's main rival. Strangely there's no comment about it...

11. koola

koola Minimodder

I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2, I think that could be the "WOW killer". Not because it's trying to be, but because they are innovating, trying something new.

12. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

Make mine Marvel!!

and also GW2 f.t.w, that's what I'm looking forwards to. Till then, WoW cheesecake!!

13. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

But why do we want a WoW killer? Why not a unique game?

14. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

WOW Killer? Definitely not.

I tried the PC version and I instantly hated it. I couldnt get past the UI that forces you to use the keyboard for everything and I mean EVERYTHING. You have no mouse pointer at all. The mouse is locked to controlling the camera and thats all it does. And the way I see it, this is 2011, not 1985, I want to click on things not type and some of the key "shortcuts" require hand-breaking dexterity to use.

I couldn't tell you how the rest of the game is cause I never even tried a quest. I did the intro and that was it. It should definitely play better on a console though because that is what the game was designed for- the pc was an after-thought.

15. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

Since there's not a Rift thread, I'll post this here: I've got a Rift VIP beta key if anyone wants it (valid for quite a few uses, 25 IIRC)

16. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

It can be a unique MMO, something completely different, but it has to be successful enough to take the titile of No1 off of WoW, that's all they mean. :D

Tags: Add Tags