Displays Monitor advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lewis*b, 27 Jan 2011.

1. Lewis*b

Lewis*b What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this comes up alot but need some help!

looking for a 24" 1920x1200 monitor for editing/photography, got about £200 may be able to stretch it if its worth it, will be going second hand to get the best monitor i can for my money.

The only monitor i found so far within my price range and with x1200 is the samsung t240

are there any others i should be aware of? or anybody recommend a monitor?

any help would be much appreciated! :)

2. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

3. Lewis*b

Lewis*b What's a Dremel?

Thanks,

was thinking the Dell U2410 might be worth stretching for, if i can get one for the right price.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i used to own a T240, brilliant for its price at that time (just over £200) but it was TN and thus not very good for your photography.

the HP Zr24w may be a good, cheaper alternative to the fantastic Dell U2410.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

i completely agree with wuyanxu

If you want anything for picture editing, you should follow this law:
    "If it says TN, it's a big no".

The reason for this is that TN panels, are not true 8-bit colors per channel. They are 6-bit colors per channel. (Red, green and blue are color channels.)
    So in reality the TN panel can only output 262 144 colors, while IPS and PVA panels can output 16 777 216 colors.

The reason why the TN panel based monitor says 16.7 million colors on the box, is that it takes 2 colors it can produce and switch between them really fast (up to the speed of the mentioned response time), in the vein hope to trick your eyes.. but as yours eyes can see several billion colors, it fails at doing this task. The technique used is called a temporal type dithering technique.

In addition, the TN panel doesn't have a color processor to ensure that the colors are displayed correctly. (NOTE: TV's using a IPS or PVA panels don't have a color processor, as it's not needed, and drive the cost down)

And the wide view angle of the IPS/PVA panel (178degree in all directions), ensures that you don't see gradients where you don't have some, no mater where and how you sit.

The Cream of the Crop of the sub 1000$ monitor, today, the U2410 is the best for the money, especially when it's on special. Be sure to CALL Dell to order, and negotiate a price. I know know about the U.K, but in Canada, they can really cut the price down if they wanted.

Be sure to call from Dell Small Business (just say family business, and if you must, invent a name), like this you get a better warranty service, and can negotiate further on the price, even for 1 monitor.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
    Pete J likes this.
  6. biFFon

biFFon What's a Dremel?

Sound advice there, I ended up going for the U2410 and am very pleased.

Got it from OcUK for around 430 about 2 months ago.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

AHH! wuyanxu, you've changed your avatar! I read GoodBytes' post first (as he is the monitor man on this forum) and he referenced you - I spent a minute or two looking for it!

8. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Stretch for the U2410. That extra vertical res makes a HUGE difference in reality.

If £200 is the absolute limit, the above Dell 2311 is the one to go for. If you can stretch... 2410.

Simples!

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I can't take all credits... Pookeyhead corrected me on many points and improved my knowledge. He is the master of the 1000$+ monitors, and is a true professional, so he knows what is needed. In addition, he can provide you with all the information you need to get a proper color accurate setup.

Hey look, Pookeyhead is on top. Hello!

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i got to highest level in BFBC2, thought it's time to replace my Halo 1 legendary avatar. Halo 1, BFBC2 two of the game that i've spent countless hours...... you are the one to talk, you replaced your 480 with 580, in 10 months, you'll have 680 as your avatar.

i think it's safe to say Pookeyhead is the professional monitor user, Goodbytes is the monitor enthusiastic.

Pete J likes this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I shall keep that in mind if my current monitor expires!
    The sad thing is, it's kinda inevitable. I REALLY hope I have a job by then!