Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Editor22 <- Ty very much! :) To be quite honest, I'm not gonna put any pictures in here of what we do on a daily basis. The reason is that almost everything we do are prototypes, and i wouldn't know what is secret and what is not.
    When I take pics of my own stuff I always make sure nothing special is in the background, to be on the safe side. :) But most of it is quite boring from a machinists point of view. :)

Raiden <- No worries, I will! :)

The_Gnu <- Yeah, you found the answer. The reason being that I made the reservoirs on a manual lathe, and I only have certain amounts of speeds/feeds to choose from. It's too much of a hassle to switch all the time, so I find it easier to just polish it. :)

On with the show! :rock:

I got the chipsetblock done today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's ready to go in, but I'm waiting to get everything done before I mess with it. Gotta do some cutting in the case as well, and make a NB/SB block before I get anywhere. Also I need to get "The Catalyst" done... BUT - I got it started, so sit back and enjoy the pics! :)

Mmmmm... Beech!

I'm using 8mm wooden dowels to keep the 2 "shelves" holding the hold thing together. It will of course also be attached to a bottom when that time comes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A little ghetto mockup of the setup, so you can get an idea. 2 reservoirs on top, 2 x 240mm radiators, and the 2 pumps (Not present in pics) will go in at the bottom.

[​IMG]

The res setup:

[​IMG]

And one for the road:

[​IMG]

Now, depending on whether my girlfriend is gonna plant her flu-attacked body at my appartment, I might get some work done over the weekend, but time will tell.

Hope you like what you see. :)

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Awww oh well, your comment does now make me wonder even more what crazy prototypes you create... maybe the fantasy in my head is far more glamorous than the real thing lol.
    I cant believe no one has commented yet on such an epic update! The Beech stand is beautiful and the twin rods at the top work well to bring in the design of the reservoirs, all in all big :thumb:

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Editor22 <- Well, yeah. I think in this case your fantasy should stay in your head, and is not be squashed by real pictures of my work! :lol: But we DO make some crazy and funny things, and not 2 days are the same. That's why I love my job! :) Aaaaand, Thank you for the nice words! :)

So, on with it!

Went to the workshop for 5 hours today and got a frikkin great start on the NB/SB waterblock.

Traced the outline:

[​IMG]

The "passive" part milled:

[​IMG]

The Zotac logo will be filled with black paint.

At this point, I decided that it would look better if both "sides" were a little more similar, as opposed to a square and a rectangular shape.

But when I moved the flowchannel, I forgot to move the bottom lines. :wallbash: So please remember that the part marked with blue marker is going to disappear! Thank you. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'll get it done, and get a top on this coming monday! :)

As the cnc was doing it's thing, I decided to tackle the pumptop setup. Those Laings are famous for vibration-noise, and I wanted to make some kind of a rubber suspension for it when it sits in "The Catalyst"

Here's the result - 4 small brackets, and 8 little rubber "rings":

[​IMG]

Brackets mounted on the pumptop:

[​IMG]

That's how they will sit. A screw will go through, and a nut will keep it in place from the other side:

[​IMG]

Just for show; It's gonna be picked up from the ground a bit, and pushed a bit backwards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had actually decided to flip it 180 degrees, so the top would be facing backwards, but to be honest, I think that would be a shame! So I gotta get my hands on some 90 degree fittings for it, so the hose can run up through the bottom "shelve".

And by GOD I hope it works... I havn't even tested the top yet to see the flow! :lol:

For now, that's all. I shall take a bow and get my weekend-gaming on.

Take care all you crazy modders, I hope to be back with an update monday. :)

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Still soaking everything in here... trouble commenting 'cause I'm still light headed...

LOVE the wood frame! -and everything else. Dual res setup is sweet. I'm surprised you didn't add a channel block to the chipset block. -still looks awesome, though.:D

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheaps <- Well, we can't have it all! :) But thanks for the kind words! :)

I actually worked on an idea for a channel block, but I have too much in my head with this build as it is, so it ended up looking like something Lego would have made! :lol:
    I'm happy with how it's coming along, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up as I visioned it! :)

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Oh I didn't expect there to be wood in this build. Awsome idea and some really nice blocks you got there. Zotac should really be proud

So you work as a prototype machinist. I can really understand why you love your work, who wouldn't. Btw, what cncmachine are you using? Haas?

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

The_Gnu <- Yup, they should be so proud that they would send me an X58 mobo, and a 580 GTX graphics card! :lol:

Nah, believe it or not, it's actually even cheaper than a Haas! :lol:

It's called ADM1410, and is made by Dyna Mechtronics. Never knew the brand before I came to the workshop I'm in now, and we have a small Dyna 2800 there as well.

It's very small, but does what all the large ones do. And with prototypes, we don't need to rush anything. So small cnc's does the job quite well, and they don't take up any space! :)

Ty, I felt like wood was a good idea, it's gonna have a black cover in front of the radiators, so it looks kinda like a loudspeaker. :)

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

So, just a little bitty update! :)

Been quite busy, and the cnc I usually use, has been backed up by real work! Darn! :lol:

But I've got the "close to almost finished" NB/SB block for you! :)

Oh, there was a small clearance problem with the GFX blocks, so I just bit off 2mm from the back. Now it shouldn't hit any transistors on the mobo anymore! :)

[​IMG]

NB/SB manufacturing DONE!

[​IMG]

Taped up, and ready for paint:

[​IMG]

Paint! I know it seems quite overkill, but I just want as much paint as possible into the groves, as it doesn't stick on aluminum worth s**t! But as long as noone touches it, it's fine!

[​IMG]

And yeah, I know the real Zotac logo is grey and yellow:

[​IMG]

But this is MY mod! :tongue:

I like the black better, but I'll see if we have any yellow that might fit in, tomorrow. If not, black only it is!

I'll catch you boys on the flipside! :)

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Oh man, that is going to look so damn sexy when its dry!

10. Cheapskate

@Editor - what do you mean, "when"? It is sexy now!

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Oh greate, I have to add one of those to my "toys to buy in the future" list.

Nice work, looking forward to see how that paintjob turns out.
    Btw, I see that only one of the corners of the watercooled part is rounded, Is there a reason for this?

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol well this - [​IMG]

Just doesn't look that sexy to me, not that I don't love the splurging look of black paint lol more like someone's wrapped a Bugatti up in brown paper for Christmas... you know its a Bugatti inside but the brown paper isn't that appealing :duh:

13. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Editor & Cheaps <- No fighting in my log! :D

The_Gnu <- Oh how glad I am that you noticed! :lol: yes, there are actually 2 reasons; First I forgot to change it, and then I got lazy... :sigh: But all hope is not gone! :)

And I'm really sorry about the pics, but windows resize mess them up... :wallbash:
    NB/SB maskingtape removed:

[​IMG]

1200 grit paper done:

[​IMG]

And, I knew we had some yellow cake, sorry; Yellow Paint, at the workshop. Just didn't know the actual color. I looked pretty much right, so I tried it:

[​IMG]

IMHO, it's just perfect! :rock: It hadn't dried out when I left work, so I'll get it cleaned up with some 1200 grit tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mission for tomorrow is to get the 8 pieces done that are going to hold the radiators in "The Catalyst"

And since I got to pick up my girlfriends charger for her laptop a place next to work, 3 hours after my weekend starts, I might as well just stay and get something done. Might even get my SLI-bridge cover done as well! :thumb:

14. Dahl1n

Dahl1n What's a Dremel?

Thats just so Epic :D i like your work on the case and all and you have inspired me on my apple G5 case :)

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Awesome outcome Angel :)

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Incredible work!
    Cannot wait to see this continue, DIY blocks Cheesecake! :D

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Dahl1n <- Wow, I'm flattered! :) And ty!

Editor22 <- Ty sir! You just get on with yours now! :)

GeorgeStorm <- Ty, I aim to please! :)

On with the show!

After The_Gnu pointed out the flaw with the non-rounded corners on the NB/SB block, I couldn't think of anything else. So I broke out the file while the cnc was running the SLI bridge cover:

DONE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan for today was to make the 8 pins to hang the radiators on. I got caught up in the SLI bridge cover, so that's what happend instead! :)

A little piece of acryllic:

[​IMG]

A piece of aluminum, 1mm walls and bottom left after milling:

[​IMG]

The same idea as the acryllic:

[​IMG]

Guess what's gonna happen to those 2 parts... Okay, that was an easy question! :lol:

Pieces put together:

[​IMG]

And, this part is a bit fake, as I just used an led flashlight.. But there will be 2 blue led's inside the aluminum shell to light up the acryllic. Just not sure if I'm gonna keep the acryllic clear, or if I'm going to sand it a bit. It would catch the light waaaay better if I do... Time will tell! :

[​IMG]

(BTW, I frikkin love that picture! Is that so wrong of me?:) )

The standard SLI-bridge:

[​IMG]

Aaaaand, the bridge with the aluminum part on:

[​IMG]

I think this is gonna look insane when I get the waterblocks on there! :clap:

That's it for today... Let's see what happens during the weekend! Superbowl isn't until sunday, I might have a couple of hours to work tomorrow! :)

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Damn this is looking damn good

19. Cheapskate

Oooof! Neat idea.:D

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Kovoet <- Thanks! :)

Cheaps <- Ty, you may know use it! :lol:

Tags: