News AMD's Radeon HD 6990 is in our lab

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

MY guess is going to be probably 8+6 pin minimum or dual 8's

And two card crossfire minimum, probably quad-fire.

I could well be wrong though :lol:

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I want companies to go one step further. Rather than spreading an image across 5 monitors, I want to be able to load up a map on one screen, inventory on another, leadboards on another, then maybe my desktop on a fourth and finally a screen with the game itself on.

Is that too much to ask? Stop making **** systems like this with 5 or 6 monitors that simply stretch the screen out further. Noone needs it, and judging by the uptake, the vast majority don't want it. Do something useful with the technology; work with software developers to make USE of those extra monitors.

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Hmm not sure about the fan being in the middle. Does that mean it will have a GPU either side of the fan? Heat from 1 GPU going back into case, heat from second GPU being exhausted? Either way I'm eager to find out bit-tech's results!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Like world in conflict or supreme commander 's use of multiple monitors.

At least AMD have got their card out for review. Nvidia hasn't released anything at all. I thought they were releasing at around the same time.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

the 295 Single PCB had the same fan config :thumb:

6. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

It looks like you will need a very big computer case to fit that GPU into. It should fit my 800D without any problems , but I have a GTX580 already ordered and dont plan on changing the GTX580 for a few years.

7. iworld

iworld What's a Dremel?

We will have to wait and see how well it is against the GTX 580 - AMD has to retake the crown!

What are the dimmensions?

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

They might take it, but why do you think nVidia are holding back their dual-GPU offering? To make sure they smash this one out the park.

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Agreed.

I was thinking about this at the weekend. No matter whether your card is better, the same or inferior, you push it out as soon as possible to grab those early adopters. You do not delay a cards release though, you lose out. I imagine Nvidia's card is just not ready yet.

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

That's what I'm thinking. After this AMD will have nothing other than speed bumps and versions with x's and z's after it.

11. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Actually there is a big user base out there, and always has been, people seem to forget multi monitor systems have been out for a long time.
    And theres barely any true PC games out there nowadays and you want something that sophisticated, and as quoted by you, the vast majority don't want even the basic multi-monitor support.

Tbh all this multi-monitor whine is just tiresome, i guarantee almost every person who actually had a chance to play one would, walk away wanting one.

12. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

The HD 6990 is "rumoured" to have two GPUs to cool lmao

13. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

re size and nda -Hmm what about a photo of it next too a standard sized object say a sheet of a4 paper or are photos against NDA?

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Personally, i think that Eyefinity is far more desirable than some 3D gubbins that make you sit in front of a screen for hours to pick up a blinding headache. You don't have to use every screen in eyefinity mode either, you can do various cloned or extended combinations.

As for the card itself, i suspect it will be complete overkill and out of the price range of most, however will probably regain the 'single card' crown, at least until we see Nvidia's much touted offering.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sounds sensible to me!

16. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Any idea on the price of it?

17. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Nvidia's 590 rumoured to be at PAX East 2011?

Which is in 10 days, 19 hours, and 6 minutes ... according to their site.

18. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

I borrowed 3 AOC 619FH monitors from the office for two weeks a couple of months ago during my vacation to see what the multi monitor fuss was about...

While it was cool for about 3 days, the fish eye lens effect just annoyed the crap out of me. :grr: Some games looked fine but the majority of them just looked wrong. Granted most games aren't designed to run on 3 screens but some of the newer ones probably are. Maybe I just don't "get" the whole multi monitor thing though...

That being said, it still looks like a beast of a card though. I'm considering getting rid of the GTX260 SLI so I might go with one of these instead. Although as always I'll wait for some actual reviews etc first :p

Last edited: 28 Feb 2011
  19. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Nobody needs a five monitor setup, I also can't see a dual GPU card being kept cool with a singe very small blower fan in the middle.

Tags: Add Tags