1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Introducing The New Score System

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Apr 2011.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can't respect "Extreme Ultra" regardless of its origins.

2. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

This is my opinion also.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I give this new scoring system 4 kebabs and three doner strips out of a possible 6 kebabs and 12 pints of beer. I dock three cans of coke and some soggy salad for not being arbitrary enough.

4. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yea, any review which gave a product an 'extreme ultra' reward would just completely cheapen the whole experience of the review, and take away from the otherwise quality content. IMHO I think you should replace it with 'excellence' or something similar.

EDIT: Wow, I think I should of reread the article before commenting....turns out the award is fitting for the purposes they intended - ie for 'gloriously over the top products'!

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  5. kaiser

kaiser What's a Dremel?

I second using an 'Its over 9000!!!' award

In all seriousness though, why not just unify the CPC and Bit-Tech awards scale? Good step in the right direction guys, keep up the good work!

6. nathanieltonge

nathanieltonge What's a Dremel?

Are different product catagories going to get different weighted ratings? I think the design of a case should be given more weight than the design of a hard drive for example which is pretty much static.

7. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

'Extreme Ultra'? Sigh.

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

#
    It does seem a bit ironic. Custom PC/Bit-Tech used to give Nvidia loads of stick about their naming systems (eg 6800GTX, 6800 Ultra etc), now there's using the same extended names themselves. :duh:

9. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

I've been a reader of CustomPC for years now but I always found it odd how a product can score 70% yet be described in the review as "average". I've seen it numerous times with graphics cards and motherboards. If the product is average then it doesn't matter if it is cheap or packed with features, it isn't something I would want want to have yet 70% gives the impression of a good but not amazing product, right? Hopefully this new scoring system will be less confusing and more reliable.

10. RGUK|Alex

RGUK|Alex Camping like a pikey

Hey at least 'Extreme Ultra' sounds a little more dignified than 'Uber 1337 PWNZ0R'.

11. Kingsley813

Kingsley813 What's a Dremel?

Extreme Ultra? Funny that, because there's an Ultra Extreme award in Peggle. :D

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have an Extreme Ultra dislike of the Extreme Ultra badge -.-'

13. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Why all the hate? Its a purposely over the top name.

"For gloriously over the top products that are unsurpassed in a particular area, but bear a caveat that means we can’t recommend them to everyone."

It would seem to me that Extreme Ultra isn't the best award but simply one to acknowledge how amazingly over the top and amazing something is to the point of almost being impractical. a 9001W PSU for example.

Its a joke award for products that are so hardcore that its a joke upon itself.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Steaming turd award would have been great. I don't get why they didn't go for it.

On another note... I have a tech question.

I recently bought 2 x 560Ti MSI Twin Frozr OC/II and my power supply is rated "gamer". Will a gamer rated power supply be sufficient or do I need a gamer extreme or even gamer ultra? (I am pretty sure I don't need a hardcore or hardcore ultra PSU for my setup).

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Absolutely, it's a great joke. And I think that's the problem. Bit-tech (and the majority of the community) have been quite a mature website and community that's well moderated. I think you can tell by the feedback here that we as a community aren't impressed when we get presented a childish name like 'Extreme Ultra'. 'Crazy but Cool' is just about acceptable; it means something, and is literally a way of expressing something ridiculously over the top but still manages to make us want because it over performs. Extreme Ultra is just a slew of words some kid on a 1337 spree spewed.

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

So far the general consensus seems to be that most people dislike the "Extreme Ultra" award name.
    I wonder what the chances are of CPC changing their mind about the name?

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol I rather see Kickass then Extreme Ultra, sound just bad to me like some kid was talking.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

"Ridiculous" would do a better job than "Extreme Ultra"

Everything has been said in this thread but I think it's important we tell you right away, just so you don't make fools out of yourself, bit-tech ;)

19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's a non-issue for me. I guess most people must browse straight to the last page of a review to see it's score rather than spend some time reading something.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The scoring system looks great, the badges are decent but the Extreme ultra doesn't really look right :hehe:.

Too late to change it to 1 word, even Cheescake :D, yes thats right you just got the cheescake award now eat some :lol::hehe:.

No really, but 1 word that describes something amazing & is a longish word would be better for that highest award I think :).

Tags: Add Tags