Photos Film Scans

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by IvanIvanovich, 14 Apr 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I just got myself an OVT film scanner and here are some results
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    various film stocks, speeds, lighting conditions and so on, to try and gauge what kind of results i can expect from it. these are raw scans without any contrast or color adjustments. they should be pretty close to quality but photobucket won't allow using the full size as i'm on free...
    so what do you think? decent or rubbish for film scans?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have you not got prints to compare? How old is the film? Interested in this - looking at getting a print/slide scanner for a big pile of family photos now.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

the ones above are from a few months to 2 years old. i do have prints of those, but comparing to an image on a tn panel is pretty much useless.
    heres a scan of a negative that is probably around 30 years old
    [​IMG]
    grand dads vespa.

one of the main reasons i got it as i'm planning on developing my own negatives from now on. an enlarger is prohibitive to me as i don't really have anywhere to put one. so i thought maybe a scanner would do the job. as a convenient way of getting from negative to something i can print.
    its the type of scanner you feed the film into, then it pulls it through taking a scan of each frame. it wasn't cheap, but not at the top either, about $300 but i figure in the long run i will save a bundle on processing as thats about the cost of 30 rolls.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  4. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Chevrolet and Bar pics are fantastic. Some people spend ages trying to replicate that processing effect in digital.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011