Cooling Which thermal paste to get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SlowMotionSuicide, 15 Apr 2011.

1. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

recommend me a new thermal paste.

I've been using Arctic Ceramique so far, but it seems the last batch I applied has dried up and gone bad, apparently killing my GTX480 on the process. Can't say for sure yet as I'm still tearing down my loop and haven't got the time to put the reference cooler back on and test yet. The stuff had rubberized and was coming of the gpu chip in flakes like old paint.

Needs to be nonconductive, so no silvery stuff.

2. numanoid

numanoid Modder

I use artic silver 5, its awesome mate
    also thermaltake do a white compound, its TG sumit or other

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Have a look at the Thermalright Chill Factor stuff, apparently it is quite good for GPU's.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ther...rmal-paste-(4g)-(the-no1-best-performing-t-p)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ther...the-paste-that-rules-them-all-just-got-better

I use MX-2 on my GPU's and still have loads left but I'll have a go with the Chill Factor when I run out.

Maybe some of our folding community could advise, they always need good GPU thermal paste?

AS5 is conductive.

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

AS5 is conductive. It is also getting pretty old and surpassed by quite a few products.

I've read quite a lot of reviews and comparisions and most perform within a few degrees so it really depends on what you can get your hands on.

Generally I've read a lot of people using MX-4 on GPUs and being pretty happy with the results. MX-4 performs about a degree or so worse than MX-2 but its easier to spread (and slightly cheaper too I think).

I believe Gelids TIM was one of the best out but I'm not sure how it fairs on GPUs.

Antec 7 has no curing time.

That is about all I can remember...

5. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

I use the AS 5 but that is mainly because I have a fair bit of it around here.

I would say use a fairly decent compound but don't worry too much unless those extra coulpe of degrees of cooling are really important.....

I don't get to hung up on the conductivity either. Just don't use too much and there should not be a problem.

6. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

whatever you choose, it'll only make about 1 to 2 degrees difference, so buy the cheapest and apply it properly.

7. entity

entity What's a Dremel?

The best one I've used so far has been the MX-2, my current Phenom II x2 550be runs at 19-22c idle and 26-28c load.

8. SlowMotionSuicide

Thanks everyone.

I probably should have mentioned, I'm not after shaving the last degree from temps, but I'm more interested what you have been using and whether there's been any issues. Ceramique just cost me 450€ graphics card. I should probably start to look for a new gfx card, too.

Availability is somewhat an issue, from suggestions made so far I'd be easily able to source only the stuff from Arctic Cooling.

9. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

how did ceramique cost you a gfx card? surely, the only way thermal paste can destroy hardware is through improper application by the user. Ceramique isn't even conductive is it? how long had it been on? I have used ceramique on many occasions without problems. I have seen a website that compared different thermal pastes, along with more unconventional things, like cheese, toothpaste and marmite. they all worked fine. Even if it dries up, it should still work, as it is only acting as a gap filler between a cpu/gpu and a heatsink. Only user intervention can change the thermal abilities once it's on properly

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  10. SlowMotionSuicide

By decomposing and drying up? A ****ed-up batch? Plenty of chances there, doesn't actually require an act of god.

I've used plenty of the stuff and so far it has never before turned into old, flaky paint. Also, it had hardened only from the centermost area on the chip, which heats up the most. the stuff on the sides were still liquid-like. Pretty sure that stuff wasn't conducting much heat. I'd put pics up but I already cleaned the block and the card.

I'm pretty sure you have heard what happens when people forget to remove the plastic protective sheet on the base on their heatsink? Chemical properties of a given compound can change radically when exposed to prolonged perioids of heat. There's whole lot more to it than just gap-filling.

Also, my loop was running 6 months with no problems whatsoever, pump works fine, and there's no gunk in the blocks. Improper application would show up on initial temps, which were fine for the said 6 months, thank you. Haven't touched my rig for anything else than dusting the filters. Can't think much else than thermal paste going fubar.

I do admit there is a possibility that my card just decided to kick the bucket and it has nothing to do with Ceramique turning into sheet of vinyl. I'm still pissed off, though.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  11. SlowMotionSuicide

Status update for anyone interested - I finally had time to put the stock cooler back on tonight and test the card, and guess what - It works like a charm. No artifacts, no rebooting loop, nada.

Only hideous noise and furious blast of hot air coming out of the case while Furmarking. That thing gotta go back under water, and soon;-)

I double-checked for any sign of leaks, couldn't find any, so I guess this pretty much concludes the thermal paste as the culprit.