Storage Formatting HDD re viruses

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quirkalfeeg, 24 May 2011.

1. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

Hi,

Just to check..

I want to format a hard disk (via a sata dock) to remove all data. Now I don't actually have any viruses (am just paranoid!) but a standard format would clear all trace of viruses excluding boot sector types - is this correct?

Would I have to delete the existing partition (only has one) to completely remove all threats?

I know `Boot and Nuke` would securely erase everything but it takes quite some time.

Thanks,

Q.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

format will remove all partitions, data , and structure providing you format the whole disk not just an individual partition.

Secure erase will delete and format the disk but also write 0 to the entire drive making information retrieval difficult

3. quirkalfeeg

Thanks, but I thought a format leaves the MBR intact and that's where boot sector viruses live? I'm in way an expert on this, hence the OP :)

4. adam_bagpuss

When you do a fresh install of an OS the MBR is overwritten so no virus would be preserved as far as im aware

5. quirkalfeeg

Yup, that's what I thought but I'm just going to be using my sata dock to format and keep the drive for future back ups or something...

6. adam_bagpuss

just using windows disk management and delete the disk and format and partition for backup.

job done no worries