Case Mod - In Progress Project:_ Modzart

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-Dubs, 11 Jun 2011.

1. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Having modded a few Antec Skeletons and put them under water and then done a real budget "project carboot" also known as Project recession Buster I thought I'd have a go at something a little more adventurous.

I'm going to be Modding the Thermaltake Mozart case.

Hence the name Modzart (took me ages to think that one up chaps so don't chortle).

I never like to reveal too much at the start of a project as experience has told me that what I plan to do, and what I eventually end up doing aren't always the same thing.

What I can confirm though is it will be a water-cooled mod, with either 2 or 3 loops depending on how things go.

My previous modes have been pretty bold in their colour schemes, something i'm going to try hard to fight here. There will certainly be a very sleek exterior, what i can't promise is the same level of subdued stealth on the inside.

So, first steps are to get the workshop ready after the winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anything missing????

Oh yeah, the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, the most important piece of kit I will ever own...

[​IMG]

Case is now pretty much stripped down, didn't take long, but a bit worried that i'll forget where some of the smaller parts go when I come to put everything back together. Still if you didn't have bits left over at the end it wouldn't be a proper project would it :)

A few pictures of the strip down.

Front off and hard drive cage out. Lots of 120 fan placements on the front, most of which have filters.

[​IMG]

Front connections wiring loom stripped out of front panel. This is a really nice piece of milled aluminium. almost seems a shame to paint it, but painted it will be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few aspects of the case

Rear quarter

[​IMG]

Left side (Optical bays in top and PSU in bottom

[​IMG]

Right side. HDD bays in top (removed as per first pic) and Mobo etc in bottom section

[​IMG]

Top rear section, where the 2 rads will go

[​IMG]

Roof from the inside looking up. Perhaps some fans on extract in here?
    [​IMG]

Taking the Perspex and the locks out, had hundreds of these fake rivets to remove. Came out not too bad, but will not be going back in!!!

[​IMG]

Perspex windows out, Rear panel, filters and locks etc removed

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to look. All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Mod On:dremel:

2. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

We have some important decisions to make here chaps

I'm still undecided on what sort of reservoirs to go for.

Option 1
    Bay type reservoirs in the front. perhaps 2 doubles, but this would only leave me 1 5.25 bay. So maybe 1 double that is actually 2 reservoirs in one (XSPC do one)

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...C-Pumps-Multi-Fascia--DDCBAYTWO-pid-9975.html

And then there's this baby
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...or-2-Laing-DDC-Pumps--RP-402X2-pid-12873.html

Option2
    Traditional cylinder reservoirs. Really love the look of this and a decent price there also

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Danger-Den-RAD-Reservoir-pid-11184.html

Or this maybe

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...Tank-Reservoir--BP-WTZM250P-BK-pid-11461.html
    But where to put them so they can be seen best? i'm thinking leave out the HDD rack and place them side by side there, and but the HDDs into the 5.25 bays by means of an adapter.

Option 3
    I'm open to suggestions. needs to be able to handle 2 loops and I want to be able to see it from either the front or the MOBO side.

3. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

I've been doing a few paint tests this morning to compare finishes and give me an idea of which parts I want to paint what colours.
    The idea is to have the interior predominantly copper, although I must stress this is not a Steam Punk Mod. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do on, but I have nowhere near the skills required for that level of work.
    So the interior copper, using a combination of copper sheet and copper paint (for those harder to get at places.

I'm also thinking of using Brass to add a colour highlight in places and perhaps some of the Silver I have left from other projects.

At present i'm not sure about the Brass. I think it looks too Gold to be honest and I don't want it to look in anyway "Bling" inside.
    I've used Plasticote Paints many times before, but never used the Rustoleum paint. To be honest it flows and covers about the same, giving a nice finish, but like the Plasticote it does flow quite thickly.

I'd prefer to use auto paint for all surfaces, but you can't get these colours and finishes in auto paint unless you're willing to spend a fortune on that high chrome American stuff

So here's what I have

[​IMG]
    Nice day so spraying outside in back garden.
    [​IMG]

Also thought a few more shots of the case might help people better visualise my options for Reservoir installation.

Res could go in top right area where HDD rack was removed from

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All thoughts welcome

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Like buses these things, you don't see one on here for years and now there's 2 on the go at once...lol

5. Theoroshia

Theoroshia What's a Dremel?

That's a monster case. Hey, if things don't work out, you could always just use it as a massive paperweight ;)

6. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Not seen the other,could youlink please

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

8. bulldogjeff

Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned that it was mine...lol

9. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

10. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Having planned some Dremmel action for this weekend I've actually dedicated my time to some paint tests.

Interactive Mod time.
    Interactive Mod??? What does that mean? Well it's your chance to have some input. I could do with your collective help in deciding on the colour scheme for the fans.

As you know from earlier posts (what do you mean you haven't read the earlier stuff, you just looked at the pictures). the inside of the case will be predominantly copper in colour. I've tested chrome and brass on discs and have pretty much given brass the boot as it looks too bling, or as someone put it "poor man's gold".

So a few colour combos. The question is which will look best inside the case. Bear in mind these will be mounted on Radiators in the top section. Black of course is the colour of rads, but thinking of changing them to copper also.
    Which do you think works best?

1. Black cowling silver blades
    [​IMG]

2. Copper cowling copper blades
    [​IMG]

3. Copper cowling Silver blades
    [​IMG]

4. Black cowling copper blades
    [​IMG]

Comparison[​IMG]
    Final combo will be silver cowling and copper blades, but I'm still waiting for primer to dry.

11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Black/Silver is a winner as is Copper/Silver IMO :thumb:

12. bulldogjeff

I quite like the copper with the silver blades. Nice combo.

13. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

I'll third the Silver in Copper. Looks nice and shiny.

14. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Fan colour tests continued
    I've tried a few more colour combos this evening. happened past the local hardware and a tin of Pewter caught my eye so thought i'd give it a go. Not convinced to be honest but I'd appreciate your thoughts. Did half cowling in Pewter and half in Silver and then as I thought it was hideous sprayed over it in silver.

So the finals of the colour combo comp

No. 5
    Pewter cowling copper blades 9next to copper cowling silver Blades, at present in first place.

[​IMG]

No 6 Silver cowling copper blades (thought this might be the one but not so sure now. I've put it next to the other to help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally copper copper and Silver silver
    [​IMG]

So guys do we have a clear winner???

15. bulldogjeff

I still like the silver and copper version. The all copper one is nice but could be a bit to gaudy if a lot of it was used.

16. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Yeah copper with silver blades is my No.1 at present.

Last paint test (fingers crossed) will be Copper cowling with black blades and silver cowling with black blades.

Just waiting for paint to dry so might get the pics up later tonight.

I hould add that these won't be the style of fans i'm using, Still not decided what to go for.

17. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

Final paint test for your thoughts.

This time copper and Black both ways round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think for me it's between these 2 and the copper cowling silver blades option.

18. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

copper cowling and silver blades is a deffo win!!

19. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

In a "SARF" London Michael Caine accent.
    "I ONLY TOLD YOU TO BLOW THE BLOODY DOORS OFF"

Actually I took them of rather carefully. A total of 16 small screws and lots of pictures so I can work out how to put it back together again

[​IMG]

Back to the plot and first an apology for leaving so long between updates. You'll be pleased to know I've stopped fannying around painting fans and finally got the Dremel out. Ooooooh i love a bit of Dremel action

[​IMG]

So remembering the old adage of Measure once cut twice.....Hang on did I get that the right way round? Anyways we got to work on cutting out the existing window area to make way for the new window. ONE BIG WINDOW.

[​IMG]

I've masked the Aluminium so as to minimise damage to the metal and also to give a cleaner cut. Having bought some nice fine Jigsaw blades in the end I decided to go for the old Dremel to make the cuts. I've heard the Jigsaw can make a bit of a mess of ally. So why take the risk.

[​IMG]

That said it did take me no less than 20 discs to cut these out. Now this is 1.5mm Aluminium. or at least I thought it was as the case is so light. It didn't particularly wear the discs down so much, that wasn't the problem, They just kept snapping on me. I think the metal was heating as I was cutting and trapping the disc causing it to disintegrate. Out of the 20 I maybe only changed 3 because they'd worn down. Reminds me not to buy the cheap non HD discs next time.

[​IMG]

I say I thought it was Aluminium, I'm starting to think it is some sort of Alloy as the dust from the cutting is ferrous. Interesting.

[​IMG]

So the results of my 2 hours of Dremeling is 2 new door sections.

[​IMG]

Just have to file off and tidy up the edges.

[​IMG]

20. G-Dubs

G-Dubs What's a Dremel?

OK guys get your thinking caps on about how i'm going to route this loop(s)

I'm hoping to go dual loop as I reckon there's the space to do it without it looking too crowded. CPU +/- mobo and GPU (yet to be decided which)

Initial thoughts are 2x120.2s in the back top section with Dangerden res's attached to them.

Not sure where to put the pumps though. Was thinking maybe right down at the bottom of the case near the window. or perhaps using a opti drive bay or HDD bay area.

I like to show the kit I have installed rather than hide it away, but at the same time like things to look clean and organised.

All suggestions welcome.

or to put it another way

HEEEEEEELP