1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows EVE Online Players Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RotoSequence, 10 Sep 2006.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

What you're reading here is generally the "other" side of Eve, the political and mostly boring side (IMO at least).

The main reason why this is discussed the most is because it isn't really as interesting to go "I mined XXX amount of Ore today, or I earned XXX amount of ISK from missions today".

In reality, unless you actively go out and look for this sort of stuff (i.e. Null Sec corps, Alliances) you won't encounter it that much unless you know what you're looking for (oh look there's a load of ships outside a station... oh they're camping it etc. etc.).

EDIT:

I actually didn't mean that to sound as if Null Sec was boring, in fact it's anything but that. However the whole politics behind Null Sec bores me.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

To be fair, as I said I was put off, having read more it's quite the opposite, this is one of the attractions about eve, tis more than just another game, so much more.
    Actually cannot wait to start playing it once exams are over :D

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Actually I think eventually I'm going to get back into the game (I keep putting on the music when I'm reading and it's really getting wedged in my brain)... probably after a couple of sessions of those 'come back and try the game for a few days for free' things that CCP sometimes send out, so I can use them to move my stuff around a bit, or perhaps to explore a bit and actually find a new home. :\

I remember a little while back someone on here was thinking of setting up a Bit-Tech corporation/alliance; I think when I finally get around to convincing myself to dive back in, I might look into the possibility of putting that idea into practice again.

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

FFS, Lulzsec strikes again... This time they take EVE with them.

Useless pricks.

5. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

With you on this one, useless bunch of ******s. I've got a **** load of stuff to do up in the North too ... apparently the root cause is them siding with Sony for exclusive rights to Dust 514 on the PS3. :sigh:

6. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

DUST and EVE are totaly serperate games, only linked marginaly- if they cant see that then there idiots, who are just running games for the majority.

All they can do at current is enoy millions of end users who suffer becuase of the actions of a few idiots.

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Are you leaving or moving in?

I have to say I went to every defence of the north fleet broadcast, and its been a rough few months for me. It might transpire that we are moving on deployment to shore up either delve to the south or deklien to the north. Either way I am bashing my ceo (who is a csm) to reduce the cooldown on jump clone timers so I can take part in both conflicts (Military Directors lead from the front in the cluster****).

What with displaced elements of the north wrongly blaming us for resetting them (we were needlessly propping them up and often defended harder than they did, even early on in the defence of tribute/vale) and now the fight for the softer underbelly of pureblind/cloud ring is going to be interesting. Things in delve are getting interesting and temperature either side of us in TEST is going to hot up.

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Actually it would appear an alliance called Atlas is claiming responsibility for paying Lulzsec to do it, and rather dumbly (in my opinion) appear to have announced it on their site.

something to do with, Operation: Free Shmak Datash.

"DDos Demitrios [ 2011-06-14 19:52:45 ]
    KEEP IT COMING BITCHES! :p
    FREE SHMAK DATASH! Demitrios [ 2011-06-14 18:34:54 ]
    We would like to annouce that Atlas. has paid LulzSec to carry out the final, and most important stage of Operation: Free Shmak Datash.

TAKE THAT GM HORSE / NOVA!

I await your pitiful attempt to attack me by banning my account, ****ers."

http://killboard.atlas-dot.net/?a=home

Go figure

9. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Cool ;) I'm in PL, might have seen you.

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I don't play EVE, but posts like this are the kind that make me want to out of sheer fascination.

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

You might have gustav'd me in the test/pl bc2 match (Saying that the test team was selected by leetcheese).

12. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Naa I've not taken part in that, my SC has been dropped a lot up north though.

Those sweet NC tears. :clap:

13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Still more tears to collect, have the western nc pets

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1528607

Is EVE going down the toilet? I wouldn't pay to use any apps, I can't think of a game that does, everything I've ever wanted for wow was always free, and it seem's stupid for CCP to start charging for something that for 4-5 (or whatever) years has been FREE...?

Microtransactions for a different coloured Scorpion as well?

WTH?

15. suenstar

:\ I don't get the whole distress over the new licensing devblog, it seems like a great option that will allow a lot of third-party developers to earn a good bit of money for their hard work.

It's not exactly CCP charging for something that has been free for the past years, what they are planning is to do is to create two different licenses. One that allows the third party developers to make some profit (a commercial license) and one that allows them to continue providing free services (non-commercial license).
    A lot of third party developers have been complaining to CCP over the years about the fact that they can't ask for donations or charge fees for the applications they make that implement the API... so CCP have been looking into creating licenses that will allow them to do this.

The $99 annual fee for the commercial license isn't set in stone, the amount may be lower when they bring it into action. If people are going to be using their data for profit, then CCP have to charge the developers something as it would be stupid not to.

If we use EVE-Mon/EVE-HQ as an example; let's say they decide to ask for a measly $1 a year for using their applications to fine-tune your training plans and track other information while out of the game.
    I'd say it would be safe to assume that there are well over 50,000 people using those two applications so the developers of those could be bringing in anything from $50,000 upwards.
    Now CCP asking for $99 a year, compared to them bringing in above $50,000 a year is nothing.

I'll go a little further on that example with the third-party guys giving options...
    Let's say that the guys behind those applications decide to offer two options; free usage while using the limited API for the basic skill planning & ship fitting features and $1 a year for extended use with the full API.
    If we say around 20% of the players using those applications are the more dedicated guys (generally those that run a corporation/alliance) would be willing to do that minuscule yearly fee, that could still be around $10,000 a year upwards.

I'd imagine someone like Chribba would happily get the commercial license, but would still most likely offer the majority of his services for free to all of us. - edited, apparently he doesn't like it.
    Having a commercial license would allow him to make a little extra by being able to accept donations from people, which he previously couldn't do due to it being against the ToS to take real money for game-related services.

TL/DR version;
    ...CCP's licensing plan needs a little tweaking, but overall I think it's a pretty good idea and long overdue.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

17. suenstar

Wow, I'm a little surprised that he doesn't like the general idea behind it.
    Obviously nobody would like the finer details at the moment, but that's why they posted it to see what people think.

I do agree with having services for ISK requiring a commercial license as it's a bit silly (they did say that the idea is a rough outline and is subject to change based on feedback... hopefully they'll take a lot of the thoughts into account before setting anything in stone), I'd also agree with some people in the topic saying that it should be a one off fee rather than a monthly one as well as there being a different range of commercial licenses.

It really needs a fair bit of tweaking, but if done right it could be a good thing.

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

The thing is it's aimed at duders doing paid for applications like eve corp accountancy and junk like that which they charge $30 a pop so you can actually see where your money is coming from and knowing what is doing where, and how.

Also to the pl duder, they became massive babies really fast. It was like a deflaiting blow-up mattress, and it was disheartening for me having flown up 3 regions or w/e to go get mis-managed on a titan.

Then when we reset them they start bloohoohooing and start talking ****, we said we would have a bropact but if you wanna be retards and throw dudes like zagdul from fa under a bus for not licking your boots then you can go **** yourself, especially as your space empire crumbles you decide to become all :****test/goons: and move to delve to upset the thunderdome.

(the thunderdome thing is hilarious because they moved in and immediately got stomped).

19. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

I'm moving in, I'm with Raiden ... was good fights against the NC, I was previously in Delve, I left TEST around February after getting annoyed with their constant trolling, racism and complacency and moved their to start my own alliance with some friends and create a 'wild-west' pvp area but PL came in and just completely stopped our momentum. So now with Raiden and hoping that the Delve inhabitants and Goons start fighting TEST ... Montolio is a *****

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Heh, Too Ducky smelt like farts.

I know delve goons, and they love it when we roll down there to maintain the perpetual thunderdome, Its quite funny your lot jumping into fin fleet. The complacency has disappeared as the fountain campaign took its toll on a large number of test leadership (I was spearheading morale for both the now defunct shurk and for the alliance as a whole).

A few weeks ago monty stepped down, leaving rob3r the position, and seperated alliance leadership and bort leadership which I find a bit more chill to deal with. This happened shortly after half of shurk decided to take there ball and leave, leaving me and white tree piecing everything back together again.

Also implying goons, who culturally are closest to test than any other alliance in the game, they would be at a loss to ditch us as we are so fully integrated into there military, economic and normal lives within eve, it would be like gunning down half your fleet.

The defence of deklien is my biggest concern at the moment, that with quelling whatever ideas ex-nc have to ruining the perpetual thunderdome delve is currently under, what with them and red overlord attempting to snatch space it makes me wonder why I play this game.