1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Yet another new car advice thread?

Discussion in 'General' started by Techno-Dann, 29 Jun 2011.

1. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

So, I'm looking to buy a car. My budget is in the $10k-12k range, (potentially going as high as 16k, but I'd rather not), and I'm looking for something small and sporty.

My first choice is definitely a (bmw-powered) Mini Cooper S, but I've heard bad things about their reliability - can anyone comment on that? I don't want to find myself needing to sink seven grand into a transmission replacement in six months.

Other options I'm considering (always open to more suggestions, of course):

Volkswagen GTI (3-door)
    Mazda3

I'd rather avoid Accords, Civics, and Acuras - the ones in my price range are mostly driven by the local chav-equivalents, a population I'd rather not look anything like.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
  2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Can't argue with the GTI although I have absolutely no idea about the US car market. Isn't the Golf called a Rabbit over there? What's that all about!

Ultimately it's personal choice but I'd have a Golf over a new Mini any day of the week.

EDIT: That said, in that budget are looking looking Mk4 or Mk5? Personally I loved the Mk4 shape but the GTI wasn't particularly sporty. It was nice and all buta bit gutless considering it was a GTI. Weighed about the same as the moon.

3. Techno-Dann

I believe it'd be right around the transition from the Mk4 to Mk5 - 12ish grand would be a 2006 Mk5, 10ish grand would be a 2005ish Mk4. If I got to choose, I'd probably go with the Mk5, just based off looks.

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I know it's not most people's cup of tea but I absolutely love the shape of the Mk4. beautiful thing.

No doubt at all that the Mk5 is a better car though.

Do they sell the Scirocco in the US? Now that's a pretty car.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you're buying the Golf the Mk.5 is a no-brainer... The Mk4 is famously not GTI enough to warrant its name in both handling and power.

[edit]Also, if you're looking at one of the right vintage, a DSG-equipped one is a great buy, and now the US warranty has been extended to 10 years on the DSG boxes in case you have reliability worries. :)[/edit]

Just to correct a point - the Mini isn't really BMW-powered. The early ones used a Chrysler-Rover designed engine (which was started before BMW was on the scene) and the new ones use the PSA Prince series engine.

As for reliability they're pretty damn good, but like all warm and hot hatchbacks you've got to make sure they've not been abused their whole lives. No gearbox will stand a brutal driver for very long, regardless of how tough they are (and new 'boxes are pretty damn tough these days). Find one with a careful owner (or even enthusiast-owned, I'm sure there are various owners clubs in the US who can point you in the right direction).

Last edited: 29 Jun 2011
  6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The Mk4 R32 is a great looking car. Are they available state side?

7. Techno-Dann

The DSG version is definitely on the list - all the fun of a manual, plus eight ms shift times = sign me up. :D

8. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

because im a blue oval guy, i have to throw the focus SVT out there. very fun to drive (if a bit sluggish off the line) and extremely reliable. and most can be had in good shape with low-ish miles for the coin you want to spend.

9. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

One of my favourite cars of all time. When I bought my Polo there was one in the showroom... It made me feel sick how beautiful it is.

10. Krikkit

That is a very pretty car indeed, but Haldex 4WD just ruins them (and quattro A3's/TT's).

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Mk. 4 Golfs aren't renowned for their sporty handling or speed (I have one btw), the R32 is a completely different beast though.

Mk. 5 Golfs have much sharper handling so I'd go for one of those if you want a hot hatch.

Also, DO NOT GET AN AUTO 'BOX. It's a crime with that kind of car, they need to be thrashed, DSG is acceptable :p

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i thought you've got a motocycle, EvilMerc...?

13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I have both! The best of both worlds.

14. Bozwell

Bozwell What's a Dremel?

I am a big fan of Mazda's. I have a Mazda3 Sport and and Mazda2 Sport and they are a lot of fun to drive without being expensive. It's like owning a Ford but with superior Japanese build quality. I think they are better looking than Fords and they are usually cheaper than their equivalent model.

15. Black Tiger

Black Tiger Chineapple Punks

love german cars, going to be looking around for a lupo GTI sometime next year, just got myself a volvo s40 1.8 2000. i prefer the mk4 looks to the mk5 but like others have said, performance isnt the best in the mk4,a friend of mine has a mk4 with a s4 lump tuned up in it, now thats a fast car

16. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

What about a diesel powered Mini, they all use BMW engines now (we stop using Peugeot engine a few years ago).

17. Krikkit

Not true from what the rest of the internets says, still using the DV6 engine (which is Ford, Volvo, BMW, PSA and Mazda) in the non-SD.

18. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

small and sporty? hmm
    2001 porsche boxster?
    2011 chevy cruse
    any mazda
    Mitsubishi eclipse 2006+
    mitsubishi lancer 2008+

19. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

We switch over to the same diesel engines found in the 1 series.

20. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Mmmmmmmmmm lupo GTI.

Second only to the 6n2 Polo GTI imo.

DRIBBLE.

6n2 GTI is still my dream car... isn't that a bit sad?