oc summit 2011

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by brave758, 30 Jun 2011.

1. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I would like to thank asus and cpc/bit-tect for a fantastic day. event etc etc ........ had a great time :rock:

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Glad you had a good time, it was great meeting you all face to face :)

I hope you enjoy your prize(s) :thumb:

3. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Dam right i will. planning a new home for them now. It was like being a kid in a candy store again.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pics! :cooldude:

5. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

+1

Had a great day. Really nice to meet some of the other guys out there, and to be able to try to push those Core i7 2500K's past their limit.

James - you know there should have been a special prize for Team4 getting to over 5.2 Ghz on air.... The Sabretooth will do for now though :)

Was going to do my own little write up of the day if I can get the time. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the day... Not so sure of the photos as I don;t remember seeing any taken, so god only knows what uncompromising positions were snapped.

I'd like to just add - thanks to everyone for making the day interesting and a success!

Now - Asus, get on and commission a ROG ARES motherboard! That SR-2 needs dethroning as the top dog!

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011
  6. casper410

casper410 What's a Dremel?

Hi
    Yes i had a great time too. Was good for me to get some more first hand insight on overclocking, and was amazed at the Sandy bridge platofrm, and think you made it a little easy for us using it.
    Seems to run fine on air, this maybe the begining of the end for water cooling, aw, i was having so much fun.
    Had we had an AMD platform or X58 based systems, i think the scores would have been alot different and further apart.
    I also have a better insight into the ROG Asus branding franchise, and although i`m not really an extreme gamer, just the odd game or 2, or 3, i use my PC`s for 3D graphic rendering, i do seriously like the ROG brand. Why ? Just try one and see for yourself.

7. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

Glad you guys had a good time,

Was gutted when work turned around ot me saying I had to go to a sales meeting instead. Oh well.

What did you all get?

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Ya forgot about that bit too much other stuff going on. Bit gutted really hopefully some will get posted

9. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

Had a really good time yesterday. Have to say I miss the fun of overclocking with others, it's been a good few years since I've really done more than casual builds with friends.

Second what Tatty said, I really think Asus are missing a trick by not putting out some competition to the SR2. Whether it's part of the RoG line or the server line, it would be really nice to see. Gimme dual CPUs, dual bondable gigabit ethernet and RAID 6, and I will take out a mortgage to buy that board, or sell my first born :).

Again thanks to Bit-Tech and Asus for putting on a great day!

10. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Yes was fun working as a team trying to get every last drop of performance out of the chip and memory.
    Met some great people with the same passion for hardware.
    And as for suggestions to Asus. Please please please sort the overclocking software for your graphics cards. I'm sure Brave will agree with me on that :D

11. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

Oh damn yer forgot about that. Move slider, window disappears, maximise again, rinse and repeat, very annoying, that and the voltage monitoring section didn't work at all, the sliders were very inaccurate and needed a manual entry section, and it seemed to pick and choose when to hold it's settings.

I'm used to using third party software like rivatuner for just this reason.

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Lol no please im still having nightmares about it. It was like a virus..... you know the click here to close one lol

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Which one were you using? The brand new GPU Tweak or the shite old and no longer supported Smart Doctor? :)

14. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

That Asus graphics card overclocking and monitoring software was terrible. In no particular order:
    1) running decreased performance in benchmarks so much that it was worth nearly 150Mhz of overclock on the CPU!
    2) You can't move the window
    3) The voltage never stuck and it didn't allow a wide enough range too really get the best out of the card (8% is not really enough of a boost).
    4) It was near impossible with the slider to hit the exact speed you needed, needs manual entry.
    5) The minimize/maximize disappearing window trick is just terrible.
    6) The auto minimize on running 3d mark is annoying to say the least, and totally unnecessary.
    7) Its not exactly a good looking piece of software.

Not that I think it should be improved however. I think Asus would probably be better off investing in RivaTuner or similar to add official support so its there before the card is released and shipping that software with the card. Leveraging the better software would save money and cause less pain.

15. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Also, in Uefi bios on the P8P67 you had a different place to enter the multi as all the other over cloc settings... Seriously annoying when trying to bench in a fixed time frame.

Never benched before. That was really good fun! :)

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

yep you guessed it, it was smart doctor :wallbash:

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea.. uh.. don't. It's like 8 years old. They haven't updated it in about 4 years. GPU Tweak for all graphics cards will be out next month I'm promised. Otherwise I'll start throwing things at the developer.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

can't you just kidnap Unwinder [the guy that did Rivatuner and Afterburner] from MSI?

19. casper410

casper410 What's a Dremel?

Rich :
    By the sounds, you must have been on my team 5. Ha yes completely agree, Asus should focus alot on its software, make it sensable to use at least, and function well with an overclock. MSI`s overclocking tools might me leading the way in this field.
    How does one point out if the driver needs updating for compatability with an overclock or not ??
    What we should have done is Flash the Bios to a GTX 570.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  20. RayWitts

RayWitts What's a Dremel?

Hi all had a great day (apart from the drive there and back and parking :eeek:) meet some great people and had a look at a Sandy bridge with p67 chipset once again thanks all :thumb:

on a side note what happened to

You are invited to attend an amazing event where you’ll get to meet Asus’ engineers, play the latest games and overclock next-gen Asus motherboards.

no engineers or games or next-gen ?