1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Japan finds huge rare earth mineral deposits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Jul 2011.

1. matt...

matt... Slacker

I think the way its been reported is just wrong chaps, yes it was a Japanese research group that discovered the deposits, but research is pretty much global these days and geologists from all over the world go and study interesting places outside of their home countries - I guess the trips abroad are one of the highlights of being at the top of your field of research- a position I spectacularly failed to reach!

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A map of the Pacific in the Nature article seems to show that the largest deposits are between Hawaii & S. America.
    [​IMG]

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Be interested on how much it costs to mine minerals from the sea bed. Part of the reason China has such a large monopoly is they sell it worldwide cheaper than anyone else can extract it.

4. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

GENIUS!

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Yup... prepare to invest.

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

And that argument is based on what exactly?

Sounds pretty simple and cheap to me.

I also think that people saying the US will somehow stake a claim are jumping the gun a bit as well. From reading the article 'around' Hawaii seems to be a pretty general term, especially as the find is also around French Polynesia, (two and a half thousand miles away from Hawaii). I think 'around' in that sense could mean many hundreds of miles away. (It's not like the Pacific is awash with landmarks to point to).

The finds, according to the article, are in international waters, so without being an expert in international maritime law, I'm guessing whoever digs it up keeps it.

Though I am glad the Chinese look to be about to lose their stranglehold on the market, as I don't think it does us well for one nation to corner the market in anything - especially a nation with such a 'flexible' attitude to international law and human rights...

7. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

"The deposits are in international waters in an area stretching east and west of Hawaii, as well as east of Tahiti in French Polynesia, he said." source

Wonder what the development rights are in international waters, first come first serve?

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

International Seabed Authority gets to make the determination under authority of the UNCLOS treaty of who to give permission to for extracting said material. My guess would be several parties will get rights to this material as long as they follow the rules.

9. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Good for them :) They've been having a crap time economically for... decades, so is good to see this. Will cause 'some' political issues though ;)

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yes I was
    And also thinking that even though it's all over and done with a long time ago, there are still grudges held by people in both countries.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

This could really help the USA get out of Debt before declaring bankruptcy, as long as it can be done without destroying the beauty that lays there.

12. Woody59

Woody59 If Woody59 can... Why can't I?!

They should get BP in on this. Their good at making stuff float to the surface!!

13. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw What's a Dremel?

They've actually found Mazuma mobiles landfill for all the old phones they buy...

14. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Simple, yes. That is a synonym of easy, essentially. However that has *nothing* to do with the cost involved. The amount of acid you need is the main problem.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/04/japan_discovers_rare_earths_under_pacific/

15. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Wonder how much of this is close to NZ controlled territories? Tokelau?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

They extract it cheaper beacuse they dont care about their labour force- plenty more to replace the ones that die of radiation, from the extraction of the rare minerals.

Alot of stuff gets extracted from the sea bed at current- for instance theres a diamond mining ship of the coast of S Africa.

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I think you have a point. Looks like I might have to buy the original article.

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Invest in what, precisely?

19. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Don't get it?! Assume this is some sort of game / cult movie geek reference?

20. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

The USA has large mineral rare earth metal deposits too..they stopped bothering mining alot of theres because the Chinese do it cheaper re the actual demand with there labour costs/lack of health and safety...its a great find but until the Chinese run out from there mines...extracting on there land with cheap labour is cheaper than Japan dragging it up from the seabed..

Tags: Add Tags