Windows File mirroring

Discussion in 'Software' started by quirkalfeeg, 17 Jul 2011.

1. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend/know of any backup type software that doesn't compress the backed up files, but copies them, as well as updating any changes that have occured in the source file into the backup file.

I'm not really looking for imaging solutions or overblown software `suites`, rather a syncing feature...

It would be going from an internal data drive to another internal drive and also maybe to an external drive - all 1TB.

I know this is technically a mirror raid but am looking for software...

Any help would be great.

edit: ps found Karens replicator on my travels which seems like it might do the trick.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Site looks a bit lo-fi but it is on cnet for download which has the latest 2011 version and all spyware free...Anyone used it?

Ta.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
  2. quirkalfeeg

Actually, I've just installed the Microsoft powertool Synctoy which seems to do the trick...at the moment :)

3. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Hey quirkalfeeg

Im very interested, as I need the same (internal to external).
    How does the MS Powertool Synctoy work for you? Are you running it on W7 ?

4. quirkalfeeg

Hi,

Yup, I'm on Win 7 pro. I tested it out on some dummy folders, saving changes, syncing, then checking the results and seemed to work fine.

I did have a browse on the ms forum for the tool and well, it seems a little flaky in some areas. I'm not sure if I'm going to put my trust in this for these backups...I can't remember if the gripes were based on the latest build but ms don't seem to be updating it so....hmmm.

I've come across these 2 sync apps that others have mentioned on forums...

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/ - this open source one comes with a load of thumbs up on the site so I'll try it out I think.

ps I remember getting some Memeo backup software with a WD drive some years ago and I had an awful time with it not updating and then becoming ever more paranoid that the backup wasn't up to date - maybe avoid that one but could have just been me ;)

5. quirkalfeeg

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Microsoft RoboCopy is included with every copy of Windows 7, simply create a batch file to pass it parameters.

I used to use Synctoy but it gave me too many problems.

7. quirkalfeeg

Yup, Synctoy is best lest alone I think...Robocopy is fine but for speed and ease of use I'd prefer a GUI.

I've settled for Goodsync now.

http://www.goodsync.com/

I've been doing some tests, and all looks good. Have tried it out on some very large folders (60, 000 files using 200 GB) and it's very quick to check for changes. Worth noting that I'd copied all my data across manually before installing the app, but subsequent changes/new files have been mirrored accordingly without any dramas.

The Gui is good and gives you all the info you need really. Has a nice optional feature where you can keep a back up of deleted files which you can purge as needed.

All in all I think it's a good little app and does exactly what I need without being too ott.

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

SyncBack. Free, tons of features, easy to use, fast, and free.