News Epic: 'We've neglected Unreal'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jul 2011.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Really disappointed that Bulletstorm wasn't profitable. One of the few games that compelled me to complete it over a single weekend.

IMO it combined juvenile humour and great gameplay in a way Duke Nukem Forever tried (and failed) to do.

2. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I liked Unreal 2, even if the plot was a little generic.

3. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Yes, give me Unreal!!!

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Agreed & it's a really fast paced shooter so I can't do long sessions on it but the short sessions I do it rocks :).

But epic if you do make a 4th make sure you use dedicated servers just like UT3 or you might be wrongly counting me not buying it as a piracy statistic :lol::p.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Thats not the only thing you've neglected, asshats.

6. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

UT2k4 I loved. UT3 was pants. I would like to see another Unreal game, if only to see if they are still capable of making a decent game in this modern age of crap 'for the masses' gaming.

7. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

"Epic has previously commented that it was driven to console development because of rising piracy on the PC platform."

********, that's a lazy excuse devs resort to when they're too busy wanking with console profits to deal with the "problems" of PC gaming, gimme a break.

The Unreal series is what really got me into gaming back in the day when every other game was butt ugly, and they not only molested it by spamming their "tournament" mechanics but totally killed it by releasing the atrocity that is Gears. Even if they DO ever manage to release another Unreal title, it'll invariably be tainted by the smell of GOW anyway since they just can't seem to get over themselves...

8. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Heh, I don't really care about what they do game wise, they have produced a great engine that's free to use, updated monthly and with very reasonable indie contract agreements. Also tbh, I thought UT3 was a pretty good game for an Unreal Tournament game, kept close to the roots of the original and also they made the bold move of allowing both mouse and keyboard and mod support for the PS3 port. Sadly, it didn't seem catch on.

Just because they have moved to the console market for their main game related profits, I still hold them in high regard for what they are still doing for PC game development (DX11 support for UDK was a pretty selfless move on their behalf right now, considering they are branching out into mobile phone games ect)

9. Kaiwan

Kaiwan Shinigami

I own all of the Unreal games and I love them. It would be a sad day if it went console only :(

10. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I doubt Unreal ever would should they ever follow it up. The main reason that Gears when console only was down to the publisher from what I read. Yup, MIcrosoft. You would have thought that would have made it more likely to come to the pc huh...

11. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Don't think any Unreal will go console only , besides it looks like with Windows 8 + their new (720?)console plans, MS is trying to merge platforms , so it doubly wouldn't make sense.

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

UT2k3/4 were the pinnacles of fps gaming and still stand the test of time. Frenetic but with a purpose, epic support for clan wars and all kinds of game modes and mods - I played them for years and I played them at the top level - simply awesome fun.

Bring us back 2k4 updated and you already have a community hungry and waiting.

Tags: Add Tags