1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Sunrise at the Dead Sea - 5/8/2011

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by ssR, 6 Aug 2011.

1. ssR

ssR Carbon God

My first time at that location

All the images were shot with 5DII + 17-40 f4L + 0.9 GND

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C&C is welcomed ;)

stonedsurd likes this.
  2. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Breathtaking... wow

#5 With the two smaller lakes/puddles is my favorite.
    I can't get my head around the scale of it, so makes it seem like a different planet that you're on.

Please tell us how did you end up watching a sunrise next to the dead sea.

3. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks
    the puddles are actually sinkholes. the large one is about 25-30ft wide, the smaller is around 10-15

i've been planning to go there for quite a long time actually, the thing is, this place is about 2 hour drive from where i live, so you need to get our of home at around 3am to make it in time for the sunrise

so i finally got lucky and got invited by a fellow photographer to join him for the shoot

Here's a setup shot of me shooting the last image in the sequence

[​IMG]

4. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I'd cast my vote for number 5 also, a lovely scenery and composition.

Also an amazing place to take photos, so consider yourself lucky even though it is 2 hours away from you :thumb:

5. ssR

ssR Carbon God

when you live in such a small country like Israel, which you can cross from north to the south in less than 8 hours, you get spoiled fairly quickly, and anything beyond 30-45 minutes of driving becomes a long time :)

6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

True that, but what I actually meant is that you are lucky to have such an amazing place to photograph in your country.

Here in Finland good landscape photography locations are few and far between. Lapland is quite nice in that sense, but it takes a bit longer than two hours to drive up there :hehe:

7. ssR

ssR Carbon God

as they say, the lawn is always greener on the neighbors side :p
    finland is totally different, you have your forests and snow...
    man... i havent seen a decent snow since the time i was in italy at the dolomites like 2 years ago

each place has it's magic, i guess most of us take for granted what we have in our area

8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

That's true what you said, but it also depends heavily on what you want to photograph.

I for example would love to photograph in a desert. Or even a bigger sand beach with a few dunes would be fine, but pretty much none of that in Finland :hehe:

Some places are also more saturated with good photographic locations (thinking of American mid-west or the Yellowstone for example), but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to make compelling images anywhere.

The lack of bigger vistas is probably the thing I'm miffed about here in Finland. The southern part is pretty much flat and forests are fine, but since you can't see through them, it again forces you to extract smaller parts of a bigger surrounding to your photo.

In Lapland you can get much larger vistas, but the "mountains" or "fjelds" are not that steep, which doesn't make the scene too dramatic.

All in all I'd just want to be out there taking photos, but instead I'm doing my school thesis at the moment, so not much outside time for me. Luckily I'm not that far from being done, so I can stop sulking and go out to shoot some photos :D

Oh, and the snow, I don't mind the snow, but sleet is something I don't like. And in the southern Finland the pure snow season is pretty short, but sleet is around way too long. Last winter was an exception to that, but all in all the winter could be shorter (way shorter) and just be done with it without the nasty weather in between seasons...

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

the biggest problem with Israel for a landscape shooter is the sky
    what you see in the images i posted here, is the typical sky look for about 80% of the year
    decent cloud coverage is pretty rare, let alone those dramatic clouds that make a really good shot

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I like #5 but the last one is my favourite compositionally.

How much did you do to them in post processing? The third looks significantly colder than the rest, and they all have a different tonal character/hue; #4 in particular seems to have a very slight greenish cast over the foreground.

Definitely not the usual lanscape photos, but interesting, and very picturesque. :thumb:

11. ssR

ssR Carbon God

i see what you mean
    all of the images went through the same basic PP. WB at 5000k, slight blue gradient over the sky to deepen the tones and midtone/shadows adjustments to bring out the detail in the foreground

i'll check about the colder tones on the 3rd image when i get back home, maybe i forgot to set the WB properly
    other than that the colors are pretty much faithful to what i saw there, there's a vast variety of colors and textures at different areas of the salt deposits, that might give the illusion that the pp was different on each one

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I actually prefer the vertical ones - #1,3,4.

Great shots!

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Would you mind if I used one of these for my desktop background, at home and at work?

14. ssR

ssR Carbon God

nah, go ahead ;)