TVs The Jungle of HD1080p Televisions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by awok3N, 12 Aug 2011.

1. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

Hello!

I'm in the market for a 50"(or larger) TV, for the purpose of mostly consoling but also 1080 and 720p video. I'm looking to spend up to 750£. Yes I know that's not a whole hell'uva lot but that's my budget.

Any ideas?

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

BenQ W1000+ projector? It's effing awesome for gaming/watching movies on.

3. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

For that price range at 50" I think your only looking at plasma's tbh and Panasonic and Samsung I would stick too.

Panasonic Viera TX-P50U30B 50" meets all the requirements and has had positive reviews. Snippet at around £649.00

LG 50PZ250T 50" - It's LG looks nice meets requirements again. More recent model then the panasonic. Costs around £799.00

If you have slightly more funds you could go for the Samsung PS50C6900 around £894.70 (could find it cheaper) Plasma, 3D and Samsung’s Internet@TV online functionality look stunning to boot!:hehe:

4. Xir

Xir Modder

The Viera's are supposed to be really good and have recently switched to a new series??? Which should make the older series cheaper.
    Is your input 100% digital?
    Than you can go for the sharpest TV you can find.
    If you're partially on analogue signal, or upscale a lot, a not-quite-so sharp TV will look better.
    I'd reccomend Toshiba in that case.
    Toshiba's CCFL tube lit one's are beeing phased out and ridicullously cheap (but only up to 42")

5. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

Looking at Samsungs now yea, the more pricey model you linked. Seems like there's many different versions at my local dealer and the 2 I'm looking at only have one comparable difference:

The PS51D6905 @ about 900£ - 200MHz refresh
    The PS51D555 @ about 700£ - 600MHz Sub Field Drive

Whats does this mean in functionality/picture quality?

6. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

That's not too bad of an idea really, thought they were more costly. As I'm also redoing the flat where i'll be setting this up I could just paint in a white frame on the drywall where I plan to use this. Might actually look pretty good.

I'll look into this as well.

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

For a projector costing around 600£ it's very good. Have a look around the Your Room And Computer thread. I have some pictures of mine running somewhere in there.

8. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

Nice, with planning in mind as my frame for it would be permanent on the wall, you got any tips for that? how many inches should I paint and so on, should I use any special kind of paint or just as white as it gets?

ta

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd use an actual projector screen, as although painting a wall would give you a nice flat clean surface, the image will be dulled from the paint. Projector screens have a slight laminated properties, so partially reflect the light giving a much clearer image with stronger and more vibrant colours :)

10. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

Ya, I'm aware of this. Is why I asked if there was any special kind of paint. I guess I'll hear what a local paint shop says, if they can weigh in on that, thanks tho

11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Make your own screen. Cost me a total of 60£ buying the cloth from eBay and using bits and pieces of wood lying around my yard.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just wanted to be sure :) My mate did it with just a white wall and then cursed the projector for its 'poor image' until I informed him of this :)

13. Xir

Xir Modder

if you go for a full-HD beamer, beware that the BenQ is a DLP beamer, many people have troubles with them.
    For an LCD beamer, I would point to the Epson TW3200. It's huge though.

14. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

+1 for Samsungs, I've got the PS50C7000, bought it last summer for about £700, so can probably pipck it up a little cheaper. Its a plasma, and for my money its been awesome. Games, movies, and especially sports in HD have been fantastic, and I've had no problems with it at all.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I got a virtually brand new BenQ projector (30hrs use) for £80 on gumtree, then bought a £6 double sheet from Argos, doubled it over and pinned it up. It looks effing great!

What I would say though, is that I'd probably prefer a 50" TV for two reasons

1. You have to watch a projector in a totally pitch black room (which is hard for me to achieve)
    2. They make a whirring sound which can be annoying in quiet scenes if your projector is near where you are sitting.

Still £86 for about 86" is pretty hard to beat.

16. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yeah, some people get the rainbow effect. Especially with 2-speed DLP projectors like the W1000+. I have seen none of this effect on mine though. It's like 3D - some people get headaches from it, some don't.

A LCD beamer will give you more power so it can be used in lighter rooms but at the expense of black levels. I have tried both LCD and DLP projectors and I much prefer DLP.

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

A word of advise, If you buy a TV, make sure you get them to run a blu ray film, with the same blu ray player, so you can see the real differences in screen quality.

From previous experience, when I bought my 63" Samsung. I went into Comet to check the TV out. They had all the LED TV running HD content, and had my plasma running SD content, to make the LED look better.
    I only found this out, when I ask one of the guys to connect a blu ray up to the 63" Plasma to see the screen quality. The Salesmen words when he opened up the floor to get to the feeds, was 'Oh that TV is only getting a SD feed, I don't know why that is'. (This is purely a marketing scam, as with the HDMI cables in another thread). So after testing the Blu ray on the 63" Samsung Plasma, and on another 55" Samsung LED, it was very clear that Plasma had a better picture. Colours/Blacks/Sharpness etc.

So be wise and try before you buy.

Cheers,

Simon.