1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HD Game Recorder Launched

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 17 Aug 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

Okay for consoles, but aren't there a load of cheaper options already available?

And as for PC... Fraps?

3. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Fraps has some overhead. You can't use it if you have a slow PC or if you're playing a resources heavy game.

4. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

It would be a useful package for some if it was sub £90/100 with the ability to upgrade the HDD, I personally can't see this becoming a market leader in game recording though.

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

fraps is pretty crap nowadays yea,
    I use xsplit and broadcast to justin.tv when I play sc2 at HD quality.
    The good thing about that is there are no local files stored on your computer, and it automatically gets saved on the sites servers and available for all as soon as you end the broadcast/recording.
    But yes that requires a good PC and fast connection.
    I guess the recorder is good if you want that sort of thing, nice for people who cant afford to upgrade their PC, but then that depends on how much this box costsmight be cheaper to just upgrade the pc

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

HDMI in, HDMI out? or is that something to do with copy protection?

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

FRAPS also eats through GBs of space in a matter of seconds. I ended up having a 250 dedicated to a FRAPS folder for a while.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Does this mean that Bit-Tech will start publishing screenshots of console games not provided by the publisher?

9. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Oh nice, I really want something like this if it works well and is reasonably priced. Fraps does just not cut it for recording in HD with full settings on a modern game, even with a pretty decent rig.

10. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Two points to note from the specs -

1) 1080i max resolution, not 1080p

2) USB2. Bleh... transfer multi-gigabyte file at twenty-odd megabytes per second? No thanks

FRAPS is up to the job of recording at super high resolution, I've recorded at 2560x1600, but the framerates certainly took a nosedive and I couldn't record for long - since it doesn't do much compression on the fly only my SSD could keep up with the sustained write speed it needed, and that doesn't have the capacity for a really long recording.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

FRAPs, record at quarter of 2560x1440 => 720p set to 50FPS translates to 50 FPS smooth gameplay, zero difference between recording or not, i sometimes even forgot if i am recording (since i don't use FRAPs overlay, use its G15 LCD screen instead)

only problem with FRAPs is that it causes BFBC2 occasional random crashes. external recorder like this one doesn't do that, which is good, but it definitely need to be able to handle high resolution for it to be a worthy purchase. (eg. 2560x1600)

12. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Update: the HD PVR Gaming Edition will be on sale at the end of August, with a suggeted retail price of £199.

13. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Not value for money. Shame.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Well... you know what to review in early September :p

15. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'm awaiting the day something like this comes out that has DVI and HDMI support, can record 1080 60p or higher and perhaps can take a 1tb harddrive in it to record directly to, while outputting to my screen with minimal lag (<50ms)
    But hey, I can dream, can't I?

I wouldn't care if it cost 5 or 10 times as much as fraps, I'd love something that recorded full 1080p 60hz H.264 on a separate box with digital and analogue RCA inputs so I could output from my amp back to the box (I absolutely f-ing hate having my audio interrupted).
    I record with fraps and end up with 370Mbps videos with 960x540 60Hz or 180Mbps at 30Hz, and both can induce crippling framedrops (hardware isnt the best though; C2D @3.9GHz, 4GB 800mhz, GTX260+OC). Recording long play sessions fill the 320GB drive I have set aside for fraps pretty quick (just checked it and have a folder with 250GB of videos lasting 6 hours 30 mins, waiting to be sorted and encoded)

16. izym

izym What's a Dremel?

You could also buy a video capture card, and build your own dedicated video capture machine.

17. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Meh, too much, I *might* have stretched to £150 if it was USB 3 and 1080P.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

LOL. Fraps is so gash.

19. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

20. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Why the fraps hate??

Tags: Add Tags