LOL The Flat Earth Society

Discussion in 'General' started by SuicideNeil, 19 Aug 2011.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
    http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

Discuss... :worried: :eyebrow:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"I don't have to prove that I'm right; you have to prove that I'm wrong". HmmyeahOK.

Elaborate hoax, or morons being morons? Either way, nothing to see here, please move along.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2011
    Altron likes this.
  3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hah! If the Earth was flat how would it be able to roll around the sun?

Proved those idiots wrong.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

The Earth's not flat? :worried:

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I spent quite a lot of time on their forums a while back, trying to disprove them (which I did, try justifying circumnavigational radio wave propagation on a flat earth!) but they just won't have any of it. The main theory is that they think light actually bends when passing through air over a long distance and under earth gravity....!

In the end, I concluded that they are actually just all trolling everyone really hard, and in all honesty, really well!

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

somebody please hack this crap and eliminate it

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I look forward to seeing their photos taken from the edge of the planet.

My head hurts just thinking about why someone would start such an organisation, and invest so much time in it.

8. dom_

dom_ --->

It is a big massive slice of piss take pie.

Love em for the abuse they get :D

9. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

The newsletters from the 80's are well worth a read!
    Had me chuckling all the way through.

The earth can't be curved as the trains wouldnt be able to get up the slopes! Love it!

10. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I have just spent 10 minutes reading the forums (I have no idea why).

I don't know what is worse, people actually believe the earth is flat, or other people seriously have the courage to carry on posting the same replies refuting the same "arguments" over and over attempting to beat sense into the senseless. Some people doing so have over 800 posts...

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just started reading the July 1977, loving how it uses perspective to prove flat Earth.

Now, we covered perspective drawing in some drafting classes in high school and at college. I admit that I wasn't the best at them and spent most of my time messing around with ridiculous 4+ point perspectives. However, I think I've got my head wrapped around two point perspective well enough to know that, on a perfectly flat plane, one can literally see for infinity. An object travelling away from you on that plane will become smaller, you may need more sophisticated tools to view it, but it will never vanish from sight unless your vision is in some way obscured. To "conform" to this "elemental law of physics" would mean that ships would not vanish as they sailed off should the world be flat and, with the aid of a telescope, could be viewed beyond the range of the human eye.

I also feel sorry for poor Professor Gregory. Not once does he say that the Earth actually is flat, nor that the magnetic north pole is in the center of it, yet gets so horribly misquoted. Around here my brain started melting and I started skimming. Somewhere down the line there was a paragraph that started talking about women taking men's place and men taking women's place, that seemed a little 2deep4me so I moved on. The next section had some juicy name calling against Copernicus followed by an alternative "view" wherein humans are two-legged beasts of the Devil which must be tamed by and "elite or elect" (more like "self-aggrandizing" if you ask me) sect of "real humans" faithful to God. The next section was titled "A Tale of Three Cities", fearing that my impression of "A Tale of Two Cities" might be damaged I neglected to read it. I do admit, however, that seeing "Star Wars" hidden within caught my eyes. Unfortuntely, reading the prior three sentences of rambling didn't give enough context to explain just why Star Wars was mentioned. Real shame, too. I just might have believe them if Yoda told me Earth was flat.

And that's a brief summary of my experience. Please excuse me while I try to figure out why I just voluntarily wasted so much of my time.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

As I've said....it's just a group of trolls who do it extremely well.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No, no. The Sun rolls around the Earth.
    Sheesh, people like you need to be put under house arrest for the safety of society. Crazy heliocentrists.

14. wst

wst Minimodder

Poe's Law applies to this site. Some people believe, some are trolling, but you can't tell the difference because the trolls can't say anything that sounds any more outlandish than what the believers say.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I love this society. They still can't disprove that Columbus or Magellan fell off the earth.

Then again what does circumnavigated even mean?

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

17. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Best part is a hollow earth would act the same as we are now apart from the lack of sun :p.. I've heard a theory (not as wacky as that site) that the Ice caps are covering the holes to the inside of earth where the core of the earth is in fact another sun of sorts..

But yeah If the world was concave or convex it would appear roughly the same oh apart from constant daytime :p (but I guess if it was hollow inside and the continents are exactally the same it would be the middle west and the eastern world?)

18. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Successful troll is successful.

On the other hand, it is sometimes impossible in science to prove a negative. Never mind, we've proved that it is round. I'm off for a root beer.

20. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I spent a while on there previously reading their arguments and people's counter-arguments.

Some of the stuff they say makes a tiny bit of sense (in a conspiracy theory sort of way that is - i.e. you know it's rubbish, but *some* of it could possibly be a tiny bit true).

Although sometimes you get really well educated people going on there asking probing questions and challenging their views and they all either ignore the post, or ignore 99% of the questions being asked of them.

It's then that you know it's more of a trolling exercise, IMO.