Case Mod - In Progress Project: Restore

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Skeng, 16 Jun 2011.

1. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Excellent :D

2. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 19/08/2011

So it's been a while since I last did a major update this is basically because I didn't see the point in uploading pictures in which you wouldn't be able to tell too much difference from before it was resprayed and after this is down to me using the camera on my phone.

Anyway I decided to go with the orange and the only place I could find some orange paint was at halfords. So I set off and bought some about 2days ago. I cant honestly say I've gotten to the stage of using it yet nor have I used it before so I only bought one can. Anyway I dont officially have a picture of it so here's one I snagged from the interwebs.

[​IMG]

Before we start I'll have to appologise for the pictures I hate shooting without natural light anyway here's the results after sanding enjoy.

This tack cloth used to be white, I used it to remove old paint after sanding.
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time for riveting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I borrowed the rivet gun and was give some spare rivets (about 20) they were originally silver so I gave them a quick spray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the last picture I'll leave you with.
    [​IMG]

The reason I leave you with this picture and no more is basically my phone is low on battery at the moment so I cant really get any snaps. I haven't finished riveting the case yet I still have the top panel to put on although I do have the motherboard tray and the from drive bay panel's attached. I ran out of rivets and hope to buy some tomorrow. I'm not entirely sure who sell them but I'm presuming I can pick some up from BnQ. As for tomorrow I will be sanding down the plastic panels and possible my side panels depending on how long it takes. (get's a bit boring and messy after about an hour or two of sanding).

Stay tuned I'll try to keep updating more often.

-SKENG-

=]

3. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 20/08/2011 PART 1

Just off out to get some rivets as for now I thought I'd just slot the top on and take some photo's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

Its looks really nice :D
    and i will follow :)

//S.Jr

5. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

Looks great

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looks good so far.

Quick tip to stop spray cans clogging:-
    When you've finished using the can, hold it upside down & press the button for a couple of seconds until paint stops coming out.

7. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Cheer's I shall try it when it comes to spraying the rest of my case ^__^

8. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 21/08/2011

Well it's really starting to come together now and I have to say I'm loving the fact I went along with Orange and black. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to go orange I think it will look a whole lot better than just plain black.

Anyway to business as far as riveting goes I've made a huge mistake and am going to have to re-rivet the rear panel, and the top panel just so one of the drive bay panels will fit correctly. As at the moment It bends at the top which may mean I cant fit a optical drive. Not to worry as tomorrow I will yet again be buying more rivets and sorting this out.

Anyway time for the big reveal I started spraying orange and I'm loving it I shall be buying more tomorrow now that I am happy with the way it's turning out.

ENJOY :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a taste of how it will compare when it's complete.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep reading em and I'll keep making em ;)

-SKENG-

Last edited: 21 Aug 2011
  9. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Looking good! Keep it up :D

10. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

Update: 23/08/2011

So today's been a bit of a bust mainly because the orange paint I'm using comes in small quantities and is quite expensive. I've been doing some touch ups on the orange "side skirts" of the case along with spraying the opposing sides.

Anyway I started spaying the top part.
    [​IMG]

But I made a slight mistake I should have gone to town on the masking tape, aw well least I have some gloss black left over.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the rest came out nice enough :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway now I could do with some help with two things actually. Firstly I'll start with this is really just a "restore" modification although using the orange and going black inside it might as well be a normal case mod. Anyway I'm not sure if to stick with the original brushed aluminium for the side panels or if to just respray it gloss black. Would much appreciate some feedback. ^___^

Here's what they look like at the moment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second task which if you can be bothered :p

I need more orange paint It has to be the paint I post in the picture below. The only problem is my local halfords has sold out and it doesn't look like they'll be getting any more any time soon. So I would much appreciate if anyone know's where I can buy this from online as I'm having trouble locating a trust wordy site with a good price that sells it.
    [​IMG]

-SKENG-

11. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

12. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

13. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

why did this just stop?? i was interested to see how it turned out!!