1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Free PC Monitoring for Kids PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Abbo, 7 Sep 2011.

1. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

I wonder if anyone can suggest any good monitoring software (preferably free at this moment in time.

Basically I have two children, and the eldest is just about to have access to Facebook, and would like to be able to record her activity on there, and also other web access to see what she is viewing.

We already have restrictions setup, but as she's getting older, are easing these a little to show that she can be trusted.

The purpose of the software is not for snooping, but more the fact that if after she has it, we see a change in personality, we have the ability to see if that change is down to what is being written on there.

Additionally, it can't be visible to her as we do not want here to know we can see if we have to.

I've seen a piece of software called WebWatcher, but initially looking for some freeware.

Any ideas?

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Just look up the history?

3. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Not just looking at seeing what websites are being looked at. More interested in chat content that she'll be typing and is also sent to her.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

You'll need a key logger of sorts then.

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Double post oops

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

This. To monitor text input etc you will need one. Most of them can monitor input and email you a text file with dates etc.

7. TOLLEY

TOLLEY What's a Dremel?

Where do you get a key logger from

8. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

If you are "not snooping" as you say, then why do you want this monitoring to be invisible? Why not simply tell your children that you're keeping an eye on online activities (point them to horror stories like this or this for reasons why), make it clear that they can (and should) let you know if they encounter anything strange or frightening and leave it at that?

On top of that, if the PC is being shared by other people (significant other, friends) is it your intention to monitor them as well?
    The best freeware is "Put the PC where you can watch anyone using it" - make online access a family affair. Do not allow children Internet access in their bedroom (via PC, console or TV), whatever reason they may offer for it.

As for keyloggers, be aware that you can run into legal difficulties installing them, even if it is your PC since they will reveal private details (like website or online banking passwords) for anyone else who uses it. Under UK/EU legislation, this could well constitute "unlawful interception".

Dude111 likes this.
  9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you cant unlawfully intecept your own stuff. His daughters stuff counts as his in the eyes of the law as shes a minor.

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Download Windows Live Family Safety, works great, is very flexible and unobtrusive, can deal with multiple user accounts per PC as well as multiple PC's with the same user account. Best of all it is free.

If you can't figure it out yourself, just ask. I've been using it for around six months for my kids on multiple PC's in the house.

It won't record activity on Facebook, only that Facebook has been accessed. If you want to see what your kids are doing on Facebook, join yourself and become a friend of your kid.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Or log the password and check up on them after. Being friends on Facebook won't show you the private messages they have with others. That's if there seemed to be a good reason to check. Personally I wouldn't check the messages.

12. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

You could use some form of video recording system, or even a proxy. Get an old PC, put two network cards in, and route all traffic via that. Record all info with a linux server onto a (VERY) large HDD (preferably 1-2TB, knowing kids), and bob's your uncle.

You can get snooping software, but people like charging ridiculous amounts for it.

13. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

You could like, you know, trust your children?

Call me crazy, but surely if they're old enough for facey b, they will be able to understand the difference between good/bad things online that you teach them?

It can only end badly when they find out you have been monitoring their every online move.

Anyway check sourceforge for freeware keyloggers and web history logging programs if that's the route you wish to take

14. AstralWanderer

Depends on jurisdiction and circumstances - a family PC is likely to be used by other "non-minors" (e.g. spouse, family friends, etc) so any software that can intercept data like passwords is highly questionable at best (which is why any workplace PC monitoring regime requires staff to be informed and to give consent).

The use of keyloggers should be considered unethical (except for testing system security, i.e. checking that your security software can detect or block them) and no-one should be recommending them here.

PrivacyRights.org have a webpage Children’s Online Privacy: A Resource Guide for Parents with tips (section 2 notably) and links which should offer more useful information.

15. AstralWanderer

This is a good point - if a parent is willing to betray their children's trust by surreptitiously spying on them (online or offline), then they should expect that attitude to be reciprocated, in spades.

16. Tokari

Tokari What's a Dremel?

This. You won't be able to see chats etc, but you can get a good idea if there are any problems by looking at the news feed.

At the end of the day, if you are allowing your child access to Facebook then you have to trust them a little. However, you do need to set some parameters such as never accepting friend requests from someone they don't know in real life and to tell you straight away if they feel they are being bullied.

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

From the viewpoint of a 15 year old: I would probably go crazy if I found that my parents were watching what I did :S

EDIT: definitely go crazy :)

18. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

for Internet usage use microsoft family safety.
    if she uses MSN messenger - ensure that the chat history is all logged.
    If its facebook your worried about i beleive theres parental options available.
    Cheers.

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I agree totally :)

20. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Packet sniff it my man :)

There are ones that can see the Facebook cat and MSN chat.

So any website, app or program she ever uses you can see what's going on.

You would need a PC constantly on to be sniffing the network but that's what I ave done before worked a treat :)