News Yahoo fires CEO over the phone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It takes a true coward to fire someone any way other than face to face. That said, Yahoo really needs a firm sense of direction - seems a bit rudderless atm.

3. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Its crazy to think that Microsoft offer $42 billion for it only a handful of years ago.

Only for the CEO to screw around, and Microsoft ended up creating Bing, which Yahoo now use for searching.

4. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Too bad they didn't get Donald Trump to tell her she was fired.

5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Yahoo have made bad move after bad move, long before Bartz stepped in. Not that it would appear she did anything to move the company in the right direction. That said whoever decided to call her instead of meeting her face to face is a spineless wretch.

6. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

So the CEO gets named and shamed and the chairman remains nameless either that or they clearly aren't as important as they think they are and perhaps their name simply isn't worth a mention, lol

Since Yahoo has a board of directors, are they not supposed to be responsible for setting the direction of the company and supposed to support and guide the CEO who in turn makes the day to day decisions in the best interest of the company and manages the staff and operations as a whole?

Seems to me that Yahoo needs a new board and definitely a new chairman who doesn't have their head stuck where the sun don't shine so they can actually see things clearly and maybe even grow a pair while they are at it and actually take some responsibility upon themselves.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What's Yahoo? :)

8. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw What's a Dremel?

A cowardly way to do it but all I can think of is the Simpsons:

"Welcome to dumpsville, population: You"

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

the chairman of the board fires the ceo over the phone...yeah, it's not just the ceo that's the problem there...lack of direction? i guess...can't even figure out how to get your ceo to come to the conference room to say your fired....

10. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I somehow doubt firing the CEO will help Yahoo. They are a massive company and haven't had any sense of direction for at least the last 5-6 years. This is a publicity stunt for investors and an attempt to afford the existing board of directors more time to twiddle their thumbs, nothing more.

11. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

It's hard me to feel sorry for anyone who says "going forward."

12. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

i don't see that logo in YEARS, almost a decade... i'm going to google it ^_^

13. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

It's like infoseek, and altavista. And Eldorado.

14. John_T

John_T Minimodder

To everyone saying it was wrong to fire the CEO over the phone, does anyone know where she and the chairman are (or rather 'were') both based?

If they worked in the same building then fine, he was 100% a coward for not doing it face to face. If they were both working in the same city, again, he should have done it face to face. But what if they were in different cities? What if they were based on opposite coasts of the US? He's supposed to fly a nearly 5000 mile round trip just to tell her she's sacked? Or maybe it would have been better to summon her the length of the country to be dismissed?

Were they even in the same country at the time it was done?

Were there extenuating circumstances leading up to it? Or a sudden and dramatic cock-up that forced the issue?

Without knowing all that, you can't automatically say sacking her over the phone was unfair. They could have spent 99% of their communication with each-other over the phone for all we know, business gets done on the phone, it's not really that big a deal. He spoke to her, it's not like he sent her a text message.

Putting into her email she was sacked 'over the phone' sounds like a bit of a pity plea - not something you normally associate or expect of a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. I wonder how many people she's sacked over the years? Or how caring and empathetic she was to each and everyone?

Anyway, given the way Yahoo has been going, and the fact her sacking alone has added 6% to the value of the company, (which is what, nearly a billion dollars roughly?) it sounds like it was long overdue...

15. trig

trig god's little mistake

i get where ur going. but, having been let go a few times in my life, in situations similar to the ones you point out as possibilities, i can tell you that something like that, especially on the scale of a ceo, would prompt a cross-country flight by one party or the other. you don't meet to discuss kicking your ceo to the curb while vacationing in the alps, then when a decision is made, hang up and dial her number to inform her of the news while hopping off the ski lift. or if you do, then, again, the problems run deeper than just the ceo. but i totally agree that including that in the email was a bad call on her part, providing some insight into her professionalism as well.

so as i said before, i think the problems run deeper than just the ceo...

16. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1

17. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Nice MILF.

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Got it. Sorry, I only use Lycos.

Seriously? You thought that was a clever comment? Well done. :wallbash:

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That was a pretty shitty thing to do. They could have just passed the buck to someone with the balls to fire her. They wouldn't have had to look far, even a eunuch has got enough to manage that task.

20. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Ya its really too bad,they used to be a grand email server,etc!

Tags: Add Tags