1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD ships first Bulldozer processors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Sep 2011.

1. jones2636

jones2636 What's a Dremel?

I have been waiting on reveiws of this for a few weeks now I am holding off planing my upgrade till more news on this chip is about. It is very frustraing sometimes.

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

But u can change the multiplier to lower your clocks... So, maybe it's still valid... anyway, I got tired of waiting, sold my X6 1090T and the mobo, and bought a shiny i7 2600k...

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

To clear up some confusion you may have over modules and threads, each Bulldozer module is analogous to a "core". Each is "hyper-threaded" like an Intel core, with duplicated integer ALUs. In integer workloads with multiple threads, a single module can give the performance of two cores, which is why AMD started off in the server market where the workloads are typically integer-based and multi-threaded. However, since the floating-point ALUs aren't duplicated, with floating-point workloads you get the same performance that isn't much better than a single core.

How this pans out in desktop workloads won't be known until it's benchmarked.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

That benchmark was proven to be fake.

The reason that there are no benches yet is because AMD's NDA is a LOT tighter than Intel's.

5. cheetopet

cheetopet What's a Dremel?

Gotta think AMD would throw us a bone to discourage current intel purchases. This complete radio silence is kinda odd.

6. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Indeed. We've seen the same thing with their GPUs, which have generally been excellent.

7. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

I think Bulldozer will have missed the boat by a good 12 months.
    Too little, far too late.

8. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

+1

I'm pretty much sold on setting up the fairly standard and affordable 2500K system, but it seems silly not to wait a little longer until the benchmarks are available, just in case I can save myself a bit for the same performance. It does seem like a very long wait mind you.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I'm just glad I bought an i5 6 months ago ;)

10. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

yep, agree with that.

11. NYTerrence

NYTerrence What's a Dremel?

Even if Bulldozer can hang with i7 2600k in that price range, it's all over when Sandy Bridge E drops, never mind Ivy Bridge . I want a Bulldozer so bad I can taste it but I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge for sure. 22nm, tri-gate technology overclocked to 4.5 - 5.2 .......yup, that's the what I'm sayin.

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'll bet AMD are well chuffed that Intel are delaying Ivy Bridge.

13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Not if they're delaying it because Bulldozer isn't as good as Sandy Bridge.

14. Sharpiemwt

Sharpiemwt What's a Dremel?

I wonder if these Bulldozer CPU's will be able to match up to Ivy Bridge, else its game set match to Intel.

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Well one things for sure, if the release dates are true, we've got exactly one week from tomorrow and Bulldozer will be upon us.

I personally hope it's an absolute monster of a chip, it's the final component to go in to Saturday Night special, although the 1100T in it now does a good job.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Why would Intel delay Ivy Bridge cos bulldozer isn't as good as sandy bridge? Please explain?

17. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

It costs billions to design CPU's and the ever shrinking FAB processes that that build them.
    Yes they've already spent that on Ivy Bridge, but by delaying it (if Sandybridge is better than Bulldozer), they can delay the investment into what comes after sandy bridge while still raking in revenue from it.

Tags: Add Tags