Peripherals Keyboards - Sidewinder X4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 9 Sep 2011.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I bought a Saitek Cyborg a few months ago but haven't been particularly bowled over. Some of the keys don't really work properly and I'm thinking of pulling my finger out to get it replaced. I'm not bowled over by the action and I'm looking at a bit of a cheaper one, like the Sidewinder X4. Any thoughts?

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

the x4 is a brilliant board, its quite low and flat, its got a nice action and is very very comfortable to use, you wont be dissapointed, as for the saitek, i cant really say as i havnt used one.

3. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

I have the x-6 and for the price it's excellent. The extra features on the x-6, besides the led and volume controls are mostly superfluous and the x-4 looks to be much better tbh. I imagine the usability and action are similar between the 2, which I can recommend, but with a more sensible layout (I'm looking at you ESC key!) on the x-4.

If you can find it for < £30 I'd say go for it.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Its £32 on Amazon :)

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

the best keyboards are mechanical. Razer black widow for example.

6. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

They're also three times the price at a minimum and your statement's not strictly true as it's all down to preference. Some people can't get used to mechanical keyboards at all.

Just a note though, I find my sidewinder excellent as a gaming keyboard but I'm not fully up to speed with it for typing yet. Might just need to familiarise myself with it a bit more as at work I either use a laptop or cheap MS office keyboard and I'm generally a quick touch typer. Maybe something to consider if you do a lot of typing at home - the 'feel' of it may not be quite right for you.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
  7. Wira

Wira Spoderman

I have a sidewinder x6 which I got hold of for around 40£.

I'm very happy with it :)

8. lava

lava Minimodder

I have the x4 and am very pleased with it, the backlighting at max is bright but not overwhelming and the software for the macro keys is very easy to use.

Just a couple of points on it though, the gloss finish on the board does get dirty very quickly, but nothing a cloth can't fix, and the keys did feel slightly cramped for me when i first used it but after a week or so i got used to it.

Overall an excellent board at that price point.

9. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I have the X4 and bought it from Amazon.

Very pleased with it ;D

10. Kaiwan

Kaiwan Shinigami

I recently bought an X4 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Still not used to the key layout (Media) but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

You can get gaming mechanical keyboards for as little as 60 pounds.
    they last much longer then membrane keyboard so cost over time is equal or less.

But yes some people just don't like them. Like some people like Apple.
    (as you can see some people statements are useless)

Try to back up statements like that with facts, then there might be some grounds to listening to your point of view :D

inexpensive mechanical gaming board:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0059KCX...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0059KCX0Q

The big debate:
    http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

I hope this info helps you make an informed decision :D

12. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Ph4zed just get the sidewinder x4 and we can be sidewinder buddies :D:naughty:

13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

X4 all the way mate, great bit of kit :thumb:

14. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

I bought one today, and I'm loving it so far. Never had a keyboard with macro keys before though, so I keep starting typing on capslock, w, s, a.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

After reading the comments regarding this keyboard I think I will go out and buy one, I do need one for my build so it's a good idea to add it to my order xD

16. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

You can get the X6 for just a little more than the X4, however the X4 has a more sensible layout and as far as I am aware, the X4's membrane tends to slip less than that of the x6 . When I personally get a new keyboard latter this year, its going to be the X4, I cant imagine id use the gimmicks of the x6 and I prefer the cosmetics of the X4.

If you like the features of the X6, its only slightly more expensive and does have some genuinely useful features, such as the ability to remove the keypad. The X4 however is easier to use (from what I have heard) and looks good, while still retaining a lot of what the X6 had to offer, such as dedicated macros and back light keys.

17. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

18. braincake

braincake What's a Dremel?

i got the x4 and im lovin it. absoloutely no ghosting, media and macro keys, backlit and best of all its £30!!!!

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

20. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I had x6 prior to my logitech illuminated, and it was pretty decent keyboard. My brother has x4, and there's nothing much to complain about either.

I switched off from x6 originally since I found myself spending more time posting on various forums than gaming, and Illuminated is just so much more pleasant keyboard to type with.