Build Advice New Build (Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrDomRocks, 5 Sep 2011.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok so Hi guys, I'm new here and am after some advice before I go out and buy a system I have decided I want.

Now I'm not new to computers but as for modding etc and considering the cost involved in buying this system I'm getting it built by Eclipse Computers. Simply because my cousin has bought components from them before and trust them. And that the price for what I want is cheapest. I have looked at several other companys and decided on Eclipse, unless someone knows a company that can match the specs for less?

I know Palicomp are a little cheaper but I read a review of customer service the other day so decided against them.

Here are the specs of the build.

Processor
    Intel i7 2600K 3.4Ghz LGA1155 Unlocked Processor

Memory
    8Gb (2X4Gb) Dual Channel DDR3 1333M

Graphics
    1024Mb nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCI-Expresss

Case
    Coolermaster Silencio RC 550 Silent ATX Gaming Case

Power Supply
    EZCool 650W Active PFC PSU, 12cm Fan, SLI Ready

Running Win7 64bit.

I plan on adding additional fans to the case once I have the system up and running. I know that it's only using the standard Heat Sink/Fan from Intel and am also planning on upgrading that too.

This comes with 500gb HDD and 1tb HDD/dvdrw and a 23in HD Screen. All for under a thousand pounds.

Does anyone have any changes they think I should make? i.e Graphics, Case, PSU?

Thanks

MrDom

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Looks like you are paying for the build and warranty here, the RAM should probably be specified as 1600Mhz (current sweet spot dual channel DDR3 RAM frequency, noticeable gains against 1333Mhz RAM, diminishing returns for anything clocked higher) for an enthusiast gaming machine and that power supply reeks of nasty :nono:, 650W will do but a more reputed brand would reap benefits on reliability.

The graphics card is excellent for a 23in monitor, I think BF3 will be the test when it comes out.

Not sure why you need 2 hard drives, why not just get a single 1.5TB or 2TB drive instead? Spec an SSD if you have spare cash and want to see noticeable performance gains, SSDs rock :rock:

What motherboard they setting you up with, it is an important component to consider? I think totting up the components I estimate component cost of around £750 - £800 so it all depends on the parts you have not fully detailed, like the monitor and motherboard, however looking at the way you are getting stiffed on RAM and the PSU and suspect these items may be substandard, check the spec on those items carefully.

3. TheBlackSunshine

TheBlackSunshine What's a Dremel?

To give better advice, we'd need a brand for the RAM and the graphics card. There's also no mention of a motherboard in there, which makes a huge difference of course.

I'll always tell people to build their own systems over buying pre-built. If you're not up for that, that's fine, I guess it's not for everyone.... But I really think you should take a look at this system I quickly made on Scan.co.uk - You'd have to build it yourself, but potentially you could be getting better parts, for the same price.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/1aa3c47bb9814223b2a5a1c4c61d5fa0

It's an i7 2600k build, with an excellent motherboard filled with expansion slots and support for SLI & XFire, if you should ever need that in the future. It's also got a great aftermarket CPU cooler, so you should be able to over clock it pretty far.
    It's got 8GB of Corsair XMS3 Classic RAM @ 1600MHz, which is a great RAM kit for the price. You don't need two HDDs, the 1TB Samsung HDD is probably the best value hard drive out there right now.
    It's got the same case as you originally wanted, and a truly epic GPU in the form of the GTX560ti Twin Frozr II edition, which is the best 1GB GTX560Ti out there right now, no question; you'll be running BF3 at 1080p @ 60FPS no problem.

Most importantly, it has a great PSU. The PSU you specified costs £25... You just won't get the reliability and efficiency you need from it, it could risk the entire rig if you skimp on a PSU. The PSU I specified is 80%+ efficient, and is modular so you won't need to deal with tons of cables.

It also comes with an AOC 23 inch monitor. It has no HDMI input, but DVI will be fine. I've never owned one but apparently they're pretty darn good, and for just over a hundred quid you can't go wrong. DVD drive is also included. All for £950, which is probably about the same price as the build you specified, but this bad boy has INCREDIBLE components. Another point to consider is that their "Scansure" insurance is included; you accidentally break any part whilst installing it, they replace it absolutely free of charge. You can't go wrong really.

I'm just saying that for the same price you could get a kickass PC with better components than the pre-built one for the same price. Your choice bro.

4. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

1. Go to scan.co.uk
    2. choose your parts
    3. Order them after we double check
    4. Ship to my address
    5. I'll build Pc and send to you

Job done and it will cost you less £££ and you will have peace of mine all parts are from reputable companies. Plus warranty from each brand individually.

I dont mind building the Pc for you with you there so you can ask questions etc and see what I'm doing.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Have you thought about DIY. I was going to get a prebuilt system until I saw a guide in the internet. It isn't as hard as you think and everyone here is willing to help with any problems. As mentioned before you can choose premium components that are usually skimped on in a prebuilt system, and you get a lot longer warrantys :D

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That PSU akes me want to kill myself. If you want a prebuilt machine I had to do a massive search for one of my mates as he dad refused for me to build him one (only been doing it for nearly half my life but apparently I don't know what I'm doing! *RAGE*) and found Chillblast are the best place to look. The Rocket is great value for a prebuilt system :)

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Firstly, the Mobo in this build is Asrock P67 Extreme4 B3 LGA1155,DDR3,SLi/cFire,7.1Snd,ATX.

And it's not an issue as to building the system, I can do that no problem having upgraded parts on old systems before. I also helped my cousin who built his own system some time ago too.

It's the warranty from the company which is the important part. Though all parts are covered by a standard warranty I was just thinking about having to send it to the company if an issue arose and they refuse to replace the component by blaming me for not installing it correctly.

I did look at the DIY kits and they do save me some money lol

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

And I'm guessing this build has the most budget of budget motherboards. However, it comes with a warranty for the whole system presumably with onsite repair etc

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I'm looking again at other websites for pre built systems with customisation. Checked out that Rocket system from Chillblast.

Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
    Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
    Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard
    8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
    Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB Graphics Card
    1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
    Corsair TX 750W PSU

I was unsure as to whether it's currently worth running an i7 system or wait and upgrade later. From what you guys have said the DIY Kit from Eclipse arent any better, regarding RAM Speed etc

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I think I might be going with the build you have listed, though I'm changing Tower as adding additional fans isnt possible.

11. donok

Buying from a reputable retailer can avoid the mess if anything goes wrong. Also getting the whe order off a single place can help too. I find the whole I'm only doing it to save me if my Pc breaks within a year of me getting it - utter nonsense. I don't know what you do with your computer but I have built 6 rigs mostly i7 920 and i7 2600ks etc and non have had a fault after being built and tested, just one or two dead on arrivals.

If you want something doing do it yourself.

For example with scan - they have scansure so incase you break anything during the install you are covered and get a no questions asked replacement.

12. donok

Or use a Credit card and chargeback if they won't exchange it.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ahhh whilst my posts have been held back i changed and deleted the basket lol

New one will come shortly!

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

16. Tokari

Tokari What's a Dremel?

Need to check whether the Dark Rock cooler covers the first 2 memory slots. Looks as if there will be enough clearance but worth checking first.

17. donok

Get an Msi p67a-gd53 it's about £100 and comes with everything you'll need

Also get windows 7 from software4students website. You need to be or know a student.

18. Rai

Rai What's a Dremel?

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

There isn't a PSU because my cousin has a good one going spare, he once ordered two by mistake, he kept the second one as a back up or for this very occasion.

I think the Dark Rock will fit ok, though i have a 2nd build using the July 2011 buyers guide from bit tech. Possibly going with that build instead. Though 8 gig's of ram instead of 4 and a different case.

As regards the OS I'm willing to buy it from Scan, I know plenty of students but I'm cool with paying Scan's price for it.

New build http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/a6d23d53f6bb44b6b137339652f57cf4

No OS on this build I know but I am going to ammend it later.