1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Random BSOD, wont boot to BIOS

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SquattingDawg, 13 Sep 2011.

1. SquattingDawg

SquattingDawg What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

recently had some RAM trouble which was causing BSOD, took out the problem sticks and everything was fine. I bought a new HDD and had nothing but Norton and one game on it. Was here on Bit-Tech reading news updates when it all of a sudden it Blue Screens without an error message. I shut it down and make sure everything is ok as far as connections go, and I powered it back on. It made it to the part where it asks you if you'd like to enter BIOS and it freezes. Won't do anything. So I shut it back down. I power it on again and now my monitor doesn't even register.

I dont know what happened. :waah::wallbash:

Hardware:
    ASUS M4A89GTD 890GX
    AMD Phenom II 1055T
    Cooler Master V8
    ASUS ENGTX560 Ti Direct CU II
    CORSAIR 750W PSU
    G. SKILL Ripjaw 8GB (2GB X 4)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Cooler Master HAF 932

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Change your GPU, to see if that is the problem (you never know).

Also, knowing the BSOD error message would help A LOT.
    Also, knowing your OS is a great place to start after the BSOD error message. :)
    The error message allows us to know which hardware causes problem.

Now it doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, we will find the culprit, but it will be more of a guessing game, so please be patient with us.

Do you get a any "beep" sound from your computer when you turn it on?
    (These are the moment I wish you had debug code system on the board, so that we look up where it get stuck, and know better the problem, anyway, next time.. they help me a lot when I build my computer.).

So, yea try a different graphic card (anything on PCI-E).
    This is just to rule it out this possible issue.

It could be that both stick of RAM are faulty in some ways. Do you have access of another stick of RAM? If not, ask a friend for 1 of theirs for a short moment to see if that is the problem. Does the motherboard area where the RAM is, smells burning or funky order? (this is from experience, just to rule that possible problem out).

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Do you have a spare PSU you can try?

4. SquattingDawg

My OS is Win 7 64 bit

When I got the BSOD with my initial RAM issues, it would tell me PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, when this latest BSOD occurred, it didn't have a message like that. I'm sorry I can't even boot to try to get the BSOD again lol

I did not get any beeps from my computer when it crashed either.

So as far as another GPU goes, I do not have one. My motherboard has an integrated one which I disabled in BIOS since I have an Nvidia card and the integrated one is AMD. I do have another PSU, but its over 9 years old and rated at 400W. Not sure if it would be a great idea to use it...

So how would I activate my integrated GPU if I cant even get into BIOS?

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

reset your bios via the jumper/removing battery for a while

Strip everything from your system, just leave mobo, 1 stick of ram and cpu, and try that older psu..

6. SquattingDawg

alright so I didnt feel like trying the older PSU first, so I pulled GPU out after I removed the CMOS battery for a while. After turning it on without the GPU, it booted up just fine. Everything worked and seemed stable. didnt leave it running for too long since I use it mostly for gaming. So it would seem its my GPU thats at fault. To be sure I plugged it back in to my comp and the same problem happened.

So I'm confused as to why my graphics card would crap out in the middle of web searching. The fans work just fine and the green power lights on it light up. Seems to be in perfect condition except for the fact its not putting an image on my monitor. So I tried both of it's outputs and again, no picture. Guess I have to RMA this as well...

7. GoodBytes

Manufacture errors happen.. it reeeeaaallly sucks... but what can you do.

Note: your web browser uses the GPU to render the page, unless you use some old web browser.

8. SquattingDawg

Alright... My computer is starting to frustrate me beyond all reason. :wallbash:

So my GPU is no longer in the comp. I'm using onboard video for everything until ASUS confirms my RMA request. Just this morning I was playing Portal with no difficulty, everything ran fine. I shut the comp off for a few hours and when I came back and booted it back on, it told me to insert bootable device. So I went into BIOS to see wtf is goin on. After looking at BIOS, my mobo wouldn't detect any of my SATA devices. Not my HDD or CD drive. I tried two different HDDs(one SATA 3.0 and one SATA) and neither were detected. I've even used a completely new SATA cable. I know both HDDs had power. So now I'm wondering if my GPU was ever the problem in the first place, was it all my mobo just deteriorating?

I just wanna rip all the guts out of this stupid thing and throw em out of my window!!

9. GoodBytes

That's... interesting.
    Yea motherboard big time. I hate when motherboard breaks, because it can make you think it's anything else.

10. SquattingDawg

Well whenever I decide to upgrade, I dont think I'll be gettin another ASUS mobo... Now I've got two RMA requests to the same company. Fun stuff...

11. GoodBytes

Well the competing brands are Gigabyte and MSI.
    MSI has step up their game lately, and make pretty good boards in term of quality.

Gigabyte, you have the "most feature for your money", but for most of their models (they are a few exception, but just check forum complaints and reviews.. but that is the same for all brands), they are superb board, using high quality components everywhere.
    I don't know the warranty period of Gigabyte in the U.K, but in Canada/US it's 3 years. So you have to check for that. Same applies for MSI.

I don't know about EVGA, and the other brands, never experience them.