1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help checking parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Garuda, 23 Sep 2011.

1. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

Hello, my friend wants to get into PC gaming and I helped him make a parts list, and I'm going to help him build it after he buys the parts. I wanted some other people to check though, please tell me if you have any recommendations. Thanks.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3
    MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65
    CPU: i7-2600K
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS 6GB
    PSU: CORSAIR 750W
    GPU: GTX 460
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Wireless Card: INTELLINET
    Disc Tray: LITE-ON
    Mouse: Logitech G500
    Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1688U

Monitor: ASUS VE247H

Win 7 x64

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

The RAM is triple channel. You want to get a 2x4gb kit. Corsair Vengeance is lovely stuff. Tripple channel is for X58 boards, the board you're getting is dual channel. The memory will work but not as well as dual channel kit.

If you can afford it, This monitor has an IPS panel and is generally considered by all to be awesome for the price.

This hard drive.

With a system costing this much for gaming, you need to be putting a better GPU in that that. 460 is a great card but it's not right for this system.

Are you at max budget? A better system for gaming would be to get a i5 2500k and a 570 or a 6970.

Just... what's the budget? And I'll stick together a build.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2011
  3. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to go much above the current price, but maybe we will get the i5 and put the money towards a better graphics card. Also, what do you mean by x86 windows? We were just planning to get this, is it alright? Thanks again.

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Ok so your basket (Excluding wireless card/mouse/keyboard/windows/optical) was just shy of $1300 (Or whatever the hell it is after all that rebate crap).

This is what I'd do. Sorry, I can't be arsed adding all the links in but the product names are exact so you can search them.

Case: Antec One Hundred
    CPU: i5 2500k
    Board: Same as you
    PSU: Same as you
    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 6870
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb
    HD: 1tb Samsung F3
    SSD: 64gb Crucial M4
    CPU Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo
    Monitor: LG IPS231P

That's $4 more expensive than your system. Also, I have no idea what the hell all the rebates do to it. We don't really have rebates here, seems like you guys have them on everything!

But yes, that's what I'd do.

5. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Well, it's not better than what I suggested to be blunt.

Why increase the PSU wattage? The original 750 unit is enough and too much to be honest. the TX650 would be plenty.

Cases are a personal thing, that one makes me feel like I'm going to vomit.

Are you trying to bring down the budget?

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

In a gaming pc, the thing you want to be spending most on is the gpu. Go for a 6950 or 570 and I would have an antec 100 as well. You could put some blue led fans in the front to make it "look like a gaming pc" and 650w is enough for an OCed i5 and 6950/570

8. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

I increased the PSU for the GPU to be on the safe side, but I know it's a lot we'll probably go back down to the 750. Also, I switched to this case because I had a friend tell me he used to have the antec case and it was very loud, but the new case is quiet and has very good cooling.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yay! You probably don't need that much PSU power and what about a CPU cooler? It's entirely up to you but that TT case is massive for your system - maybe look at a Fractal mid-tower?

FYI I just learnt some of our PCI-E Gen 3 boards are out within the next 2 weeks if that matters to you. Most of the features are the same though iirc and I'm not sure if they cover budget boards in the first outing.

10. Garuda

Garuda What's a Dremel?

Okay then, I guess I will get a lower PSU. I think the stock fan should be fine for the CPU. It may be a little big, but I prefer plenty of room rather than trying to squeeze a graphics card into a smaller case. Thanks for the info.

11. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

I'd get what Zinfandel stated. It would be a great set up.