1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best Smartphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paddy, 28 Sep 2011.

1. Paddy

Paddy What's a Dremel?

Hey, couldn't find anything similar, so my apologies if this has already been discussed, but what is currently the best smartphone in the market at the moment?

My contract is up for renewal next week and I'm currently looking at getting either a HTC Sensation or a Samsung Galaxy S II, is there arnything else worth considering?

I've currently got an iPhone 3GS and will definitlely not be getting another iPhone, so Android looks to be the best option!

I've heard battery life on these phones is quite poor, is it worse than the 3GS? Any tips for actually getting the phones, will it be best to go through carphone warehouse, phones 4 u etc. to arrange the upgrades? Any good deals around?

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

(P.S. I'm on O2!)

2. shah

shah Minimodder

O2 is good and will give you a good deal but you need to speak to them.. You can also try online site called Quidco which offers cash back on new mobile contracts.

As far as the mobile is concern I would say go with the Galaxy S2... Big screen and very light weight also good battery life. You might not like the plastic cover at the back but go to a phone shop and see how it feels :D

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Shouldn't your thread be titled "second" best smartphone seeing how you're unwilling to go with superior model?

Anandtech's pretty convinced Galaxy S II is the best you can get for a droid atm, go figure.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2011
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Galaxy S2 or iPhone 5. End of.

5. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Not a fan of Apple products, but I expect the iPhone 5 to be rather good. I'd go for an Android phone myself right now. I played around with the S2 a lot and recently had a brief moment with the Sensation. I'd say S2 is by far the better phone. I used to love Sense in the old days when it was used to cover up the terrible WinMo 6.5 and the slightly clunky early Android builds, but these days it seems like a bloated add on, all flash and little purpose. Also nothing out there can compete with the S2 screen imho.

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

S2 is a lovely phone so I would go with that at the moment.

7. Shikkari

Shikkari I know what a Dremel is XD

The Google Nexus Prime should be out soon, I think I'm going to wait for that.

Coincidently it got Bluetooth certification today: Clicky

No idea how much or anything ATM.

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I sell these freggin things all day. It is all down to personnel preference.

Would I take an iphone some of you know the answer to that, never. But is it a good phone, ot's an awesome piece of kit. Think you get my drift.

Personally I love my Samsung galaxy but will wait for the new one that is out in FEb with the 2ghz processor.

But decision is to go into a store and check out the demo's and play around with them, then look into your packages with it.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You'd be dumb to go straight to the Iphone 5 as soon as it's released be prepared for more bugs than Starship Troopers!!

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I would be surprised if it has any major bugs. The os will be iOS5 which has been beta tested (with few bugs reported) for the past couple of months.

11. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

They are making an announcement on the 4th October for the release date. I reckon 21st October but we'll see

12. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Im getting the sgs2 :rock:

13. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Samsung Galaxy S2 hands down.

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I'm due an upgrade next month xD and still undecided either Galaxy S2 or HTC Incredible S lol

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well with that choice I would advice the SII

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

It's all down to battery life and I know HTC isnt the greatest but I need a change from Blackberry lol

Does anyone know if the SII uses Samsungs store or Android Marketplace?

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

both

18. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I bought a Galaxy s2 a when it came out from Phones4u and I have to say its a great phone. The screen ia simply AMAZING. Go to a shop and check it out. The black levels and colours are stunning and so much better than the HTC. Having come from an Iphone, I can say that android is great. The level of customization is something else. Have a look at the s2 thread (themes and apps) on XDA. Also there are a lot of roms out there too that do add to the phone.

Having said all that, there are also some negatives compared to the Iphone. The worst part is the sound quality. Its simply poo. I use to use my iphone with a line out and a headphone amp and it sounded quite good but since i have moved to the S2, i have bought a sandisk clip+ as i cant stand its sound quality. The battery life on the S2 is also not great but then again, a dual core 1.2ghz processor will use powe. There are largery battery packs out there if needed. Finally, there are less apps and games on android. I wouldnt recomend one to an avid games player.

Personally if it was me, I would wait. The new Iphone is out soon as is the new google phones (a samsung device) both look like s2 beaters. Samsung have also released an s2HD in Korea which has a 720p screen!

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I can upgrade on the 9th I think so I can wait and see what takes my fancy, I'm not fussed about games etc I had an Iphone and hated it towards the end. Running Blackberry Curve. Does what I need it to do. Though something different is what I'm after. Else I'd go for the new Bold lol

20. trig

trig god's little mistake

quick question for kovoet...
    was going to go with the samsung gs2, but i need the slide out keyboard...anything coming down the pipe galaxy s2-wise with that? the 2 ghz cpu you mentioned in feb, is that dual core? gs2? slideout keyboard?