Windows Windows 7 - Best Drive Image Tool (to move system drive)

Discussion in 'Software' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 3 Oct 2011.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I currently have my system files, windows files and program files on my primary hard-drive (C: ), and have a secondary hard-drive (D: ) for storage.

I'm looking to make a perfect image of my C: drive, registry entries and all, so that I can 'seamlessly' move to a new faster hard-drive and remove and sell the current primary hard-drive.

What's the best free tool to do this? and are there likely to be any common problems in doing this?

Info that might help:
    -There are not multiple partitions to complicate things
    -There's NO compression or indexing active on the hard-drive
    -I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
    -There's about 270GB used on the drive currently - It'll be moved to a 1TB F3

Basically I want to swap out my main system drive, but dont fancy formatting and reinstalling things (which is what I've always done previously).

Oh and I realise there's a few similar threads, but software changes and I want to be sure for something like this (although I'll still have the old drive as a backup for a while).

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
  2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Acronis True Image is without doubt the best

You could use seagate disk wizard which is acronis and is free but you would have to have a seagate drive connected to the system for it to work then you could clone from any drive to any other drive, All it requires is a seagate drive to be connected to the system

Last edited: 3 Oct 2011
    microsoftPerson likes this.
  3. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I know I wasn't the one who asked the question. But thank you for the answer Teelzebub. I have my laptop set up perfectly and will be running the Seagate Disk Wizard ASAP.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

no segate drives here...I'll get the ATI trial version...do you know if the trial will let me do a full hd to hd image?

5. Teelzebub

Tbh I dont know mate I bought the full edition from argos best bit of software I've got. Oh I believe a maxtor drive will do it as seagate and maxtor are the same company now.

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

sadly only backup and restore are in the trial...not clone...which is the best way for me to go :(

7. Teelzebub

I'm not sure but I thought I saw a demo version one for migrate easy 7.0 on the site which is the cloning software only

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/

8. jossi007

jossi007 What's a Dremel?

Go for ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE. I have used it many times as a computer technician. There is nothing easier or better.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Clonezilla

free, open source, works great. works with partitions or whole disk, all you need is another disk that is same size or larger than source.
    but interface is slightly ugly and doesn't do scheduling (require you boot from CD/USB)

my netbook is imaged (because i don't fancy spend time reinstalling something i rarely use) using Clonezilla perfectly fine, done a few restores.

when i moved from Samsung first gen SSD to C300 same size, Clonezilla did the job without a peep. in fact, still using same install, Windows didn't complain just installed C300 and a restart later, back to usual.

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

cheers wyx'y

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Agreed 100%, I used to use CloneZilla all the time with my netbook. It looks scary because it's Linux-based and there is no GUI, but it really isn't scary at all. There are loads of tutorials online explaining it.

No need to pay money or use trial versions :thumb:

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd recommend Acronis True Image

Look on your HDD manufactures website, most have a free Acronis True Image cloner

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

nobody here use the Windows 7 tools? (AIK & ImageX)

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

hdclone by miray.de is good at what its designed for, clones non standard disks as well(PlayStation3)

15. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Haven't used AIK (gotta dig into this) and imagex is command-line tool, not for the beginner. Cloning the wrong way is pretty easy to do.

16. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I still use trusty old Ghost :) works a charm.

17. lava

lava Minimodder

I was reading through this thread and decided to check the WD site for my drive... and there it was, Acronis true image. Will be setting this up for the clean install i'm planning this weekend.

Cheers