1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU or GPU advise

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by droyden, 6 Sep 2011.

1. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

Hello! :)

I'm thinking of joining up this folding stuff, I have a couple of dedicated machines that I can use older tech but should be worth while?

They are C2D E6600 / E6670 (2.4GHz+), but also have an ATI 2400XT card. Can anyone advise which would be better? GPU or CPU? Also which OS?
    They have OEM XP but happy to stick on a basic linux install if thats better.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately, the 2400XT will fold extremely slowly, so isn't worth the electricity cost. However, the Core 2 Duo should generate a pretty decent amount of ppd. Windows or Linux are both fine.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Personally I'd go for Linux, can yield a better ppd. And then that leaves your XP license to die a graceful death :)

Oh and +1 to what Lizard said about the 2400XT :thumb: (I didn't even know you could fold on old ATI hardware :hehe:)

4. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

Thanks lads, time to get these sorted :)

5. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

I've got an E6700 and according to HFM.net it's yielding around 1800 PPD (it oscillates between 1.5 and 2K PPD depending on the WU). It is also driving a GPU client for an 8800GTX. so that's taking the edge of it's PPD also. It might hit 2K PPD if it wasn't for the GPU client.

To re-iterate what others have said - ATI cards are slowly gaining support but your card will be horiffically slow - if you're not using the PC for anything else then I say go for it, fold on it. But it will provide a poor PPD/watt. But then I don't pay for electricity so effeciency doesn't really concern me!!

Again, if you can fold under linux that will boost your PPD by around 10-20% - there are some pretty straight forward guides to setting up F@H under linux - in fact the stanford one is quite good.

Good luck - if you need help let us know.

Chris

6. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Remeber to get yourself a passkey and make sure it is included in your configuration.

See here : - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

After you have completed 10 SMP WUs (8 of which must be within the time frame) you will then get bonus points which will improve your PPD no end.

7. jones2636

jones2636 What's a Dremel?

Sorry to highjack the thred but I too am thinking about getting a new rig together next year so am thinking about putting my current/old rig into the folding game. Dont really know anything about this but the system would intel i7 920 with a geforce OC 260 card would all be powered by 620W Psu and would be on vista 64. would that beable to do some folding or is it not powerful enough?

8. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Yes that is a fold-able machine. The gpu should give you around 8k PPD, I'm unsure if the 920 can do bigadv. If it can then that will give you around 20-30k PPD.

I would recommend not using vista however. Use linux, compared to windows, you'll get an extra 10-20% PPD. Use Samba to set up the sharing of folders so that HFM.net can monitor it's progress.

Good luck

9. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

A 920 can definitely do bigadv if OC to at least 3.8GHz and run 24/7.

If you want to fold on both the CPU and GPU I would stick to Windows (unless you want to play with beta software that is :))

10. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

Thanks all, got this setup so will start generating some points :)
    Tried to fix my signature, but I dont see the option in my CP presumably some posting restrictions or so.

11. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

Yes, I think you need a certain number of posts before your sig works (10?).
    The code would be the following with the round brackets changed to square brackets
    (folding)u=570223&t=35947(/folding)
    [folding]u=570223&t=35947[/folding]