1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Peculiar startup issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by semper_si, 24 Nov 2011.

1. semper_si

semper_si What's a Dremel?

I've recently built my Pa a PC based on i5-2500K and Z68 motherboard and a M4 SSD, using a 500W Corsair PSU.

Since I installed everything and set up Windows 7 I've left it in his hands, and he's been merrily reinstalling his software. I live 3 hours away and can't pop round to sort out what's a rather odd problem.

Basically whenever he turns the computer off (windows shutdown) he can't reboot it without turning the main power supply on and off first. There may also be a bit of BIOS resetting going on too (though he's not so sure). Restarting works, as does Sleep.

I guess it could be the PSU, but I would expect instability in running or the odd random crash. I thought it might be drivers, but a system restore achieved nothing. It's just all a bit strange. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I would also suspect a PSU issue here. The only way to test this theory is to try a known working PSU in its place.

3. madda

madda What's a Dremel?

Is it running the latest bios revision?

4. semper_si

semper_si What's a Dremel?

I'll try out a different PSU when I'm next round at my Dad's. I've not heard much since, so I suspect the 'sleep' mode is working out quite well.

The BIOS was updated almost as soon as it was installed, so unless there's been a new version in the last couple of weeks, I'd hope that it's not the source of the problem.