CPU High CPU idol usage

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by jpearcey1000, 2 Dec 2011.

1. jpearcey1000

jpearcey1000 What's a Dremel?

this is starting to come a persistent and more common problem for me.
    normally my idol usage is about 1-5% but over the last month my CPU has been idling at about 60% and will not lower without a restart. there is no reason for this as i can see as i have the same amount of processes with or without the high usage.
    any help will be appreciated

my Specs
    motherboard: Asrock n68c nvidia chipset
    processor: AMD Phenom 9750 2.41 Ghz
    RAM: kingston gold 2x2Gb DDR2 RAM
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GTS 250
    HDD's: WD Cavilar blue 150gb, Samsung f3 1tb
    PSU: Coolermaster GX 650W

2. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

sounds like a background service is being used if no visible programs have been started. Hows the de fragmentation on your drives? What OS are you using? Is windows indexing your drives when its idle? Check Task Manager to see what is being used in memory and if its a program that is causing it? Is there any anti-virus that is setup to scan when idle?

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

You should be able to see what's doing that, my background stuff uses 1-2%

4. jpearcey1000

it normally does it after i've been on the computer for about an hour some time less than 30 mins quite often after i've used Google chrome and sometimes after gaming. i have also tried using different antivirus's with the same problem and they aren't scanning.

ill give you some screen shots of when it happens and when its normal :)

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

look in your task manager

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah look in the processes section in your task manager to see what's hogging your cpu.

7. jpearcey1000

[​IMG]

this is my task manger before it goes to a high idol will take another screenshot when it does been going for almost an hour now
    i managed to take a screenshot when the % is higher but just before it took it was at 3%
    i clicked on processes from all users and the list grew significantly even though i have 1 account?

8. DevilsShooter

I use to have a similar problem awhile back and only noticed when my system was idle, id hear my hard drive making a ticking noise now and then (dying hd...i know) and my hd light flickered a lot even though nothing was going on. Later found out that it was windows indexing both my hard drives when idle.

you can disable it through services and look for "Windows Search" or you can right click properties on your hard drive icon in my computer and look for the little tick box and disable the index there. It works on a delayed startup and thats usually about the 20-30min mark before itll kick in. This certainly helped me out before my drive died I dont know if itll work here but worth a try. Also check out http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html and monitor that for abit to see for any signs of whats going on.

9. jpearcey1000

should i do that for both drives or just my primary drive?
    also both drives have been de fragmented and cleaned with ccleaner in the last week

10. DevilsShooter

Best off trying the explorer application first before changing settings just to see if anything pops up.

After having a think Ccleaner also removes some thumbnails that get cached by the indexer, could your Ccleaner be setup to remove these on cleanup so windows builds the list again. Its just a thought anyway but check to see if it has that option enabled.

11. jpearcey1000

already noticed a difference from stopping the indexing almost on 0% all the time know on idol and i was having a problem before i de fragmented and ccleaned

12. jpearcey1000

[​IMG]
    ccleaner settings :)

13. DevilsShooter

Ah cool, just keep an eye on your load for awhile. All the indexer does is scan your drive when idle and record locations of programs for quicker access/search and also creates thumbnails for certain media/files. I did wonder if downloading a lot then removing stuff days later would have a knock on effect with the indexer and de-fragmentation but unsure. Let me know how you get on.

[​IMG]

*Meant to add, is the thumbnail cache ticked on Ccleaner?

14. jpearcey1000

yes it is, i'm using the default settings but it was doing this before i ran ccleaner so i don't see how this is relevant?

15. jpearcey1000

and as of know my CPU is jumping between 29% and 54% constantly and i have the same amount of processes open with indexing on

16. jpearcey1000

17. DevilsShooter

hmm ok, wwe can rule out the indexing then and your cache getting cleared. Id try that exporer program I posted above, its much better than task manager and gives a better overview of what is going on system wise. Its strange your memory usage is fine and so is the amount of processes you have running.

18. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Did you update .net recently? After an update it will do some optimization and you will see the Microsoft .net framework ngen vX service making high use of the cpu when idle.
    Otherwise if it not one of these usual suspects I highly recommend using an offline linux anti virus bootable cd like this one from avira to do a full scan. It is more effective since the av can't be disabled by a virus or rootkit.

19. jpearcey1000

since i stopped indexing i have not had a problem with the high cpu usage for the whole day but will have to keep an eye on it over the next week

i had problems with this before. this i clean installation on a new hdd and i have done full virus scans with nothing found xD i have also removed my storage drive from my system

20. jpearcey1000

since i stopped indexing i have not had a problem with the high cpu usage for the whole day but will have to keep an eye on it over the next week

i had problems with this before. this i clean installation on a new hdd and i have done full virus scans with nothing found xD i have also removed my storage drive from my system

sorry double posted can someone remove?