Notebooks Gaming laptop advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brave758, 23 Dec 2011.

1. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Hi I'm after some help.

My current laptop as powerfull as it is just can't cut it when gaming the nvidia 525 gpu lets it down and its runs very hot.

So i've decied to stop messing and get a gaming laptop.

This is where i need the help. I don't really have the first clue when it comes to them and what brands to go for.

What i'm after it ideally a 15" display or there abouts as i would like it to be portable as i have to move it all over with me, so robust would be nice also. I'm not fussed about weigh though. Or noise as long as it keeps cool.

Umm what else.....

Oh ya cost. Well you get what you pay for so i'd say $2000 top end
    And most importantly i must play battlefield 3

Thats all i can think of now

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

3. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Thanks bagman. I've noticed that dell has stopped the 15 and replaced it with a 14 using the nvidia 555 gpu. To be honest it looks sweet. the 17x r3 is also looking sweet, 4 ram slots 2 hdd bays and the possibility of 580 gpu.

From the digging i've done the MSI 683 also looks nice and the ASUS

4. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

You have hit on Achilles' heel of using laptops for gaming. The nature of a laptop case is that it is not able to dissapate heat in the same way as a desktop case. This, along with the need to operate from a battery, leads to a limitation on the power laptop components can draw and therefore the performance.

However if a laptop works for you and you are happy to take the performance hit that goes with mobile gaming, there are options available. As you have already identified the graphics card will be the component that has the greatest impact on the gaming performance. In terms of what is available today, I would recommend looking at Nvidia cards for their optimus technology. The GeForce 550M would be the absolute minimum that you should consider, however the GeForce 560M, GeForce 570M or the GeForce 580M are more aimed at gaming. I would expect a Sandy Bridge Core i5 or better would be sufficient for a CPU.

If you can hold off for around another 4 to 6 months, I would expect that you will get significantly better performance from a Ivy Bridge CPU and a Nvidia Kepler or AMD GCN based mobile graphics card.

5. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Thanks Tonpal, its a shame you can't upgrade laptops eh...

Thought about the waiting game too

6. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

How about the MSI GT683DX? I used my friends one and I loved it. That's coming from someone
    who absolutely loathes laptops. I can't stand them. But it played games very well.

Or you could wait a bit for the GT780DX. That has a bigger screen though.
    Both probably cheaper than equal alien wares. Which used to be pure ripoff PCs/laptops. I haven't
    checked them for some years though, so I don't know what they're like anymore. :)

But the MSI's are amazing, shame about their fascination with lights though on the GT683DX.