Education Has Anyone Ever Used A Site Called Hardware King Before?

Discussion in 'General' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 3 Jan 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Hi guys,

This probably isn't the right place to post but I'll do it anyway! :D
    Basically, I'm shopping around for the Gigabyte H55N USB3 and upon a Google search this site have it pretty cheap!
    http://www.hardwareking.net/product...-H55--Socket-1156--dual-PC3-10667U-DDR3-.html

The site looks ok, but for the sake of safety, I'd like to know if any of you have shopped with them before, and most importantly, a second opinion.

Thanks a lot.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Dodgy grammar, a poor site design and the cheapest domain type don't really beg confidence. They also require account creation and login to buy items, so I don't know whether they use secure connections for payments - in any event, if you do make an account, I'd use a different UN/PW to any other online accounts you have, just to be safe.

The item photos are thumbnail size and are stock photos, too, so there's not much assurance there. The item description is minimal and has almost no technical details; suggests amateurs and, even if they are genuine, might leave you in a vulnerable position if it arrives not to spec or faulty.

edit - They're German, too. Curious about shipping costs, I clicked on "shipping costs" (all prices listed exclude them) and saw this:

[​IMG]

I'm very wary now. Even if genuine, I'm not sure I'd trust people like this not to mess up my order somehow. Overseas shipping is not child's play.

The TaC pages look to be copy-pasta from generic sources, and the Shipping and Returns page is exactly the same as the shipping popup above - so, they actually specify no returns policy or guarantee at all.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Looks legit! :)

Seriously... I'd not buy from someone with such a crap website.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Erm..

5. KidMod-Southpaw

Yeah, the fact that a couple of sections of the site are in German doesn't beg confidence either. :)

So I'm taking the prices as a too good to be true thing?

6. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

7. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it then.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

There's a thread just now come up on the AV forums. They're listed as a scam site and to pay for goods you have to pay into a Hong Kong bank account...

9. boiled_elephant

Hoooo boy. Close call...

I'm rather grateful that asian scam artists always seem to be so inept and obvious. Imagine a world in which they were competent.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

HWK crops up every time I do a product search on google and it's extremely irritating.

Some poor sod on another forum actually bought something on HWK before Christmas... good luck waiting for that one in the post, mate.

11. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

Yea there aint much of a comeback if you deal with these guys. Sounds like the german guy is using a dropshipping company and that'll be the excuse for delays in shipping/receiving. Also looking at HTML source code some interesting markups, site is hosted from US servers as well. Loving the terminology used in the statements as well, wouldnt hold in court either. Avoid this site. Bad layout, language, poor catalogue (looks like a skim from elsewhere). Use site at own risk.

12. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I've run into many a site like this and the lack of quality and quantity always puts me off.

13. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Just been warned about these scummers in a thread I created asking for advice on a GPU. Surely Google should prevent these scambos from coming up in a search or do they not have any care of duty to people using their search engine.

Itchy

14. boiled_elephant

I imagine it'd take a successful lawsuit against the company for anything to happen to the site; 2012, still no police on the internet. For better or worse...

15. KidMod-Southpaw

SOPA, because they want to police something impossible to police- the internet. :)
    Back on topic. :worried: