Graphics CPU bottlenecking graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jpearcey1000, 7 Jan 2012.

1. jpearcey1000

jpearcey1000 What's a Dremel?

I have recently upgraded to a MSI GTX460 SE from a Gigabyte gts 250
    but i am finding i am getting worse performance and frame rate on my 460 than i did on my 250. at the same resolution even if i force my games to run in DX9. it's as if changing the settings doesnt effect the frame rate stays choppy on all settings

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9750 2.4Ghz
    RAM: OCZ Gold 2x2GB DDR2 267.9Mhz
    Motherboard: Asrock N68C
    PSU: Coolermaster GX650 ( friend has run the card with corsair 430W psu fine.)

i can get some in game screenshots/benchmarks if needed :)

thanks alot James

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU, you should still get the same performance as you did before. It would suggest something else is amiss. Have you updated your GPU drivers?

3. jpearcey1000

i am currently on the latest drivers 285.62 at the moment
    when my friend had this card on a Phenom 2 3.6Ghz he was running Skyrim and all his games on mainly high settings so when i got it i was a bit disappointed i have to play cod on minimum setting to get a min fps above 55 it sucks when on my 250 i could keep a min of 70

4. noizdaemon666

Why do you need such a high frame rate?

On topic, how much memory was on your 250? I'm guessing 768 on the new card?

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Your aware that the 460 sepcial edition is a gimped version of the 460. 288 cores rather than 336.
    Even so you shouldn't be getting worse performance than a 250.

6. jpearcey1000

for call of duty i like to keep the frames above 50 otherwise it doesn't feel smooth turn any of the settings off low and frames will drop to 40 ish which for cod is just annoying
    other games like league of legends will drop to about 30 frames at all settings but that is bearable because of the style of game

the 250 had 1GB GDDR3
    the 460 has 1GB GDDR5

7. noizdaemon666

Hmmmmm, that's interesting. You should see some performance increase over your 250. Maybe try reinstalling some older drivers?

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Because as research has shown, anything below 50 isn't truly smooth. I aim for at least 60.

The new Hobbit movie is 48 I believe and it's not just for the hell of it.

Why don't u try OCing cpu?

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012
  9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

If you put the old card back in does performance go back to normal?

10. noizdaemon666

Smoothness is subjective, not objective, no amount of research can give a definitive answer.

And overclocking will increase his frame rate but won't answer the question, why is he getting a lower frame rate than he was before.

11. jpearcey1000

bearing in mind before these benchmarks i have forced the game into DX9 for better performance and have lowered number of lights from 4-3 and lowered the number of dead bodies on the map from 15-8 and have turned on pre render for better performance in the config

both games had air support and where benchmarked during a standard domination game with the same gun.

[​IMG]

Min: 43
    Max: 92
    Average: 80

playable mainly until someone calls in air support etc

[​IMG]

Min:31
    Max:93
    Average:68

on the old 250 at high settings at dx10 i was holding a min around 65

12. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

yes your CPU will bottleneck a card, but it doesn't explain the lower performance. If you have the old card still, try putting it back in. Otherwise, I'd try getting the next to latest version of drivers or overclocking your CPU.

13. jpearcey1000

i am getting a motherboard and cpu with the next 2 months anyway so i can live with the problem for now

14. jpearcey1000

at same resolution as i was running the other card i got more than double the frame rate average in heaven benchmark.
    does swapping resolution make that much of a big difference?
    my friend with the same card but better processor was running games fine at high settings at the same res.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I don't know if it's my drunken haze but I don't really understand your last post.

Has your new card got double the frame rate at the same resolution as your old one - or vice versa?

Yes, swapping resolutions makes a huge difference. The higher the res, the slower the frame rate. Lastly, your mate with the same card but better CPU will run higher fps than you at the same res because of the improved hardware but the amount of that increase will depend largely on what hardware he's running. Intel/amd, ram type, speed and timings etc..

Try and be as concise and complete as possible so that the guys and girls here can give you the best help we can. :)

16. jpearcey1000

with the new card the frame rate on heaven benchmark doubled
    my friend had a phenom ll 3.2GHz and 8gb of corsair vengeance and he got stable frame rates at high setting on the same game. i will be upgrading to a similar spec within a few months.

the reason i bought the new card was because i was changing to a higher res but it seems to giving me choppy performance at this res even at medium/low settings

17. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Well something is clearly wrong, you cant even compare a 250 with a gtx 460. Have you completely deleted your old drivers and installed new ones? If that doesnt work try formatting your pc.

a 460 should in no way struggle with COD

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It has been clearly demonstrated that 24 - 30 fps isn't good enough for convincing smooth movement. You can say it's subjective all you want. 60 fps looks and plays better than 30.

Hopefully we will see the emergence of more movies with higher FPS.

Perhaps FPS drop because the 460 is demanding more than his cpu can give.

I suggest you search for some FPS tests. The difference in motion between 30 and 60 is very clearly demonstrable.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012
  19. noizdaemon666

It is subjective, to me anything above 25fps looks smooth. In some games even 20fps looks smooth to me. And yes it is easy to demonstrate that 60fps has less movement between frames than 25, it still doesn't mean that 60fps has to be the frame rate for smoothness.

And he'd still get the same frame rate, the processor would still be able to draw out the same amount of on screen stuff as it could before. The new card shouldn't be the issue.

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It may be subjective for you but most people can see the difference when presented with the video tests so I guess a small percentage can't tell the difference. It's like a percentage of people being colour blind.