Networks Sky Router Encryption

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattyh1995, 6 Jan 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Right. Our old sky router got wet and broke so we borrowed a friends old adsl phillips brand router. Thing is, apparantly sky routers are encrypted. So is there any way of getting this new router to work? When I go to set up the router using the 192.168.0.1 thing it shows a list of isp's and the option for 'other isps'. Is there something I can type into the other isp fields which will enable sky access? Or do I need a sky branded router. Thanks in advance.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You'll need a Sky router, unless your previous router can be gotten to work. You can grab the username and password required by doing a quick bit of googling as it's not immediately apparent what you have to do to get them 'out' of the Sky router. You can then use whichever router you want. Be aware though that apparently Sky do actually test lines now and again and if they discover you're using a non-Sky router they'll ban/close the account. It's part of the contract that you use their router and nothing else.

3. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Firstly to the op - Sky routers are locked down stupid -_- There are however firewares which allow them to unlock and you can get all the details you need, just depends what router you have. I think there are a couple of netgear older models, and a couple of sagem newer models floating around. I flashed one and have a friend using it on his talk talk broadband.

and to kenco - Looks like this might be an easy way to get off there god awful connect service, without having to buyout your contrat, if you ever needed one! Might have to give this a go..

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I wish they would, been stuck with 3MB ADSL for 9 months since I moved house and got another 3 months left of the contract. Ugh.

Never used the sky router and haven't been contacted or kicked off their service in three years!

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't think they'll kick you off the service, but they will refuse any service requests unless you're using an official router.

6. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

You could just call sky, if the router is at fault, they'll send out a new one.

But OP - if you want to use a third party router you'll need to extract the PPPoA username and password from the original router.

Most of the time you can use an online tool (google) and enter the WEP key, router serial, MAC, etc and the online tool will tell you what the PPPoA login details are.

Good luck!

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

They didn't seem to care for me, they diagnosed a line fault on mine when I had a non-sky router.

8. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Yeah TBH Sky really don't care about third party routers. Back along when I was on their LLU service when it first came out I used a Billion router (it used the same chipset as their DSLAMs in the exchange - which enabled SRA - which enabled the sync rate to seamlessly decrease and increase instead of the line resyncing when conditions worsened / improved).

They never noticed for years and their diagnostics didn't show it up when I duly nodded to their tech support staff "Yes, yes I do have the Sky router connected. Really"

9. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

Sky are pretty clueless when it comes down to internet. Had to go to Ofcom to get out of my contract. Just phone them up and tell them you have a dodgy router and it needs replaced. If by the 3rd time they havnt sorted your problem you can get out of contract but only if you give them 3 chances to try and rectify the situation (new policy, got me out). Just play dumb with them and tell them there router is goosed and its there fault.