1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays TV vs Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheLegendJoe, 8 Jan 2012.

1. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Hi All,

Curently, I have this TV as appose to a PC monitor, however, I'm thinking of getting a PC desk and from what I read, the Asus PA238Q is one of the best monitors between £150-£200. Now, I ask, would I see that big of a difference if I were to switch from my tv to a monitor? the only thing my tv deals with poorly seems to be motion from dark to light colours.

Also, feel free to reccomend another monitor! :)

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You will see a big differences, as the pixel pitch will be far smaller, which will give you a very sharpe and less zig zag image. Tv's are only good from a distances, where monitors are built for you to sit close to.;)

4. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

well, I'd be getting a desk so I'd be sitting quite closely but I'm not particually far away from this one atm, and size doesn't bother me much! Quality is what I'm after (I only have a TV becuase I used to be a console gamer/was too young to build a pc :p)

Also, I'm sick of using my pc tower as the mouse mat, and my knees as the keyboard holder.... :p

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I have a 32" Samsung 6 series tv which has an amazing picture when watching the tv or playing on my xbox, but when i fire up my secondary rig for some controller based pc gaming (Hawx 2, dirt3 f1-2011) windows and everything on the desktop looks like arse.

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I like women's arse's, so are you saying it looks good?:D

7. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

i have both, i have computer monitor for when im doing my assignments and then my tv for when im watching the football through my sky player account... have to say my monitor is so much better though

8. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I have a desk with a 40" TV currently and I can't wait to get my monitor to replace the TV.

I find that as I'm only at about 2-3 foot from the screen that I struggle to see the full screen, as I'll be concentrating on one part of the screen and have to adjust when I need to look at another part and I get eye strain after an hour or so. Though that might have something to do with me getting old as well as the TV position ;)

9. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Sorry, i should of quantified that statement better. Think Boris Johnson's arse; big, blocky, shapeless and attached to something generally annoying.

10. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Is there a need for text reading? If yes, the monitor would usually be better for that. If minimal to none, you might want to consider getting a wireless keyboard and mouse instead.

That would allow you to make better use of the size of that tv by shifting you far enough where the pixel pitch won't matter. And gaming from the couch isn't too shabby either.

11. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Another thing to note, TV's have a lot higher latency in processing the image, so in some cases you will experience mouselag. The only real way to cure this is turning off all the enhancement that makes the image worth looking at.

TV's are inherently made out of cheap components (wider target audience, affordable at higher sizes) where as monitors as stated in this thread are designed for in/out interaction.