A/V Choppy BluRay playback

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by maximus09, 9 Aug 2011.

1. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and may be able to help?

I have used PowerDVD 9 for ages and have had no problems playing DVDs or BluRays. Recently I bought Ironman 2 and PowerDVD told me I have to ugrade in-order to play it.

So I did upgrade to PowerDVD 11. Now all DVDs and Blurays play back really choppy!

I have a E2200 with 2Gb ram and Radeon HD 5450.

Any other HD files I play even at 1080p are fine.

I updated my ATI drivers to the latest. I tried reinstalling PowerDVD 9, but got the same problem. I also tried installing CCP codecs and updating Direct X. I also tried AnyDVD HD, as PowerDVD bluray playback detector said that my TV wasn't HDPC complient. I tried changing my Page file size which seemed to help but only for a few seconds after which it became choppy again. I have enabled and disabled GPU accelaration and switched my drive to and from PIO and DMA. Also I disabled anti-virus.

I have tried multiple BluRays and DVDs with no luck. I even tried WinDVD 10 which gave me the same results.

I just have no idea what has happened!! :jawdrop:

Can anyone help out? Thanks in advance!!

2. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

ops sorry forgot to mention my BluRay drive is LiteOn iHOS104

and I updated to the firmware to the latest too :(

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well a lot of stuff you did was totally useless. Sounds like a desperate attempt to get extra performance from a Pentium 2 computer, back in the old days. I would suggest to restore your settings.

And I smell a codec conflict, especially when seeing CCP (or K-Lite). These 2 codec packs are extremely aggressive, and don't play nice at all under Vista/Win7.

Do you have DivX codec or web player? If so, remove it, and any trace of it.

What is your OS?

I would suggest to uninstall your graphic card drivers, restart the computer, and install an older version of the drivers. Usually HDCP failure is linked to bad drivers. Please note, that VGA does not support HDCP, only DVI, HDMI and Display Port.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you try system restore?

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

HI thanks, guys.

Yea I'm running Win 7 64bit. And it is over HDMI.

I will try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling older ones. But the issue didn't happen when I installed new drivers. I installed new drivers to try and fix the issue so I doubt it is the driver. hhhmmm confused! I might try a restore if it not turned off :s

thanks!

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Is it GPU enabled? And do you have the codecs for BR?

7. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Yea I have tried GPU enabled and disabled from within PowerDVD, don't know if there is anywhere else I have to set it??

I assume I have the codecs for BR because everything was working fine before?!?!

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Why would you need to upgrade power dvd to play Ironman 2?

Did you have to pay for an upgrade? If you did then you should be entitled to technical support from Power DVD.

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I don't know why I had to upgrade it just gave me a message saying I need to upgrade to play this Bluray disc. I guess it has features that arn't supported by PDVD 9.

Yea I have contacted pdvd support, I sent them the info and diagnostic files still waiting for reply. :(

unfortunately I can't restore my PC to before I uninstalled PDVD9 because the restore points only go upto 6pm that day instead of earlier on in the day :(

I may just end up reinstalling the whole pc again *sighs*

10. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

OK so I uninstalled everything including drivers. Reinstalled the old drivers and installed PDVD11. Hurraa it worked! BUT only for about 20 mins :( Then it stated stuttering again!! Seriously I don't know whats wrong.

Anyone else have any ideas? thanks

11. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

You sure that your Bluray drive isn't doing something silly like not reading properly?

12. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I guess it could be that, considering it stutters with both BR and DVD. hhmm maybe it needs a clean, I should buy a bluray player cleaner and test see if that works.

13. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Just tested some DVDs yesterday and playback seems fine, but BluRays still start to jump and stutter after a few seconds.

I just ordered a BR cleaner so will try that out this week. Also I noticed that the discs coming out of the driver were noticably warm..... I have an Antec Fusion V2 which has the VFD display above the drive.

In the gap behind the VFD I jimmed a 2tb drive as the other two drive bays were taken up. I'm thinking maybe the drive is being overheated when trying to play BR discs?!?!

If cleaning doesn't work, I'm going to take out the drive and see if the added airflow will help. It does actually say in the manual not to put a drive there :D

14. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same problem with PowerDVD 11 Ultra. BluRay movies are so choppy they are un-watchable with this software.

I can play BluRay movies perfectly with my Nero Platinum HD suite, so I'm not sure what's wrong with PowerDVD 11. The older PowerDVD 9 BD OEM version that came with my Alienware M18x did not have the problem. Given the older version and Nero works fine, it seems there is an issue with version 11. I wish I hadn't purchased it now. :(

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Try installing the trial of Arcsoft Total Media or playing the Disks in VLC.

If they work then you know it's the software.

16. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

i had alot of problems at first with blu ray and ended up upgrading my graphics card to a geforce gt240 to play them through hdmi as the onboard graphics wasnt good enough, id probably say that your graphics card would be ok as it as worked before but just try the diagnostic with powerdvd or try an alternative program as suggested earlier. i know what its like its so frustrating when all you want to do is watch it at 1080, good luck