1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling External Radiator on an RV02

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 11 Jan 2012.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'd still go out of the back. Just neater in my mind. More accessible if there are quick release barbs there too.. No need to lift or tilt the case to access them.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Kolance has a PCI pass-through plate, and it may have QDCs, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, that height won't bother the pump. It's a closed loop, which means any water pushed down the tube simply forces that already there back around. Water is incompressible. The only time pump head matters is an open loop where it gets no help from the returning fluid.

3. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

If it hasn't been suggested, don't use 90 degree bends as they significantly reduce flow. Use tube with an anti kink coil wrapped around it.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Doesn't that kit have the EK-DCP 2.2 Pump?

I thought that was rated at 400lph.

I'm probably wrong, but it's worth checking.

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

If he doesn't use the pcie bracket out the top of the case route, I don't think he would have a choice in using 90 degree fittings, as from what he said there is very little room underneath the RV02 he wouldn't have a hope in hell of making the bend with just tubing and an anti kink coil

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Not without having to raise the case. It's an inch, or less, of room underneath the case, and the grommets are in the floor, set about two inches back from the closest edge. Hence why I leaned towards using the top.

As far as I can find: Anyone who actually has the kit (Although the closest review I can find is of the Supreme HF 240) has remarked it comes with the 4.0, not the 2.2. However; the 4.0 is somewhat cheaper than buying a D5, so I could swap them out if I absolutely have to.

Edit: Bugger. It does come with the 2.2, Might have to see how it performs before I bin it, however. I'd rather not chuck out a perfectly good pump.

Suppose I could spend an extra £30 and get the Supreme HF variant, as it comes with the 4.0, and the better heatsink. What do you lot think?

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  7. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

However the D5 is much much better pump and will serve you well for many years :)

8. .//TuNdRa

And £70 for a version that won't force me to use 1/2" to 3/8" converters. I've thought about this. The lower the price I achieve; the better. I'm setting myself a challenge to see how cheaply I can get a very good watercooling loop, while still using quality components.

The D5 would be very, very overpowered for my purposes. I don't believe I'll need 1500L/hr flow in order to smoothly cool a Processor, a VRM block and a NB, perhaps if I added GPU sinks to the loop as well, but the beauty of the Raven is that it's happy enough for GPU's on air that I shouldn't need to go to those lengths unless I'm seriously pushing an overclock on whatever GPU i'm using.

9. .//TuNdRa

Oh snap. Having a look around; I'm concerned that the waterblocks in the EKWB GA AMD kit won't actually fit the board. From what I can see; the NB block will fit without issues, but if the sizing of the VRM heatsink and its' mounting points are to go by; That won't fit on this board.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Stock VRM heatsink used? I'll try and dig out a tape measure soon and get in there to check, but until then; i'm hanging in uncertainty.