Apple mac wont connect to ethernet internet

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dave454, 9 Jan 2012.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What switches etc are you running on the site?
    Do you have configs from the networking kit available?

Where are you based?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

might be worth clearing the ARP cache in the draytek.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Was speaking to one of the tech's at one of my sites today where they had been having problems with mac's and wireless, they actually even paid apple for some support. Apple came back to them telling them to try channel 9 or channel 11 for the wifi... I mean it sounds completely bonkers to me - but thats what the apple engineers said. Surprisingly it resulted in success as well.

4. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

thankyou all for your replies i have had no issues with connecting via the wireless for the past 2 days, ethernet is still not connecting so i will try the ideas below. this has got to be one of the most troubleshooted problem ive had so far been ongoing for couple of weeks now. not going to let it beat me though

we are using cisco switches on all sites, i dont have setups, as they have been previously installed before i started.

i will try this one also

i noticed the wireless routers were all on the same channel so i changed them all to different channels, and they seem to be ok for the macs, they was always ok before on the windows pcs but these macs have just thrown a spanner in the works. its probably something so obvious and probably only takes a couple of clicks as always buts its finding the fix.

will let you know how i get on with this.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I think we've found your ethernet issue.

Get the enable secret for it & I'll log in remotely for you to take a look at the config.

6. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

sorry i havent got a clue on this side of it i wasnt part of any set up of these switches so i wouldnt know where to start. never done this before.

they are all the same switches on the sites if that means anything, and this site with the macs is the only site i need to edit the registry and add the arp key. all other sites dont require it with windows 7.

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It sounds like either port security is set up or there are vlans etc setup on the switches.

Can you telnet to the switches IP? Any documentation onsite about these?