PSU Enermax vs Corsair vs Silverstone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 13 Jan 2012.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I'm in the market for a new PSU as it looks like my current one might be on the blink. I've narrowed it down to three, but it would be nice to hear some opinions from other forum members, on the units that made the shortlist. I am considering the following, however am open to suggestions.....

- Enermax MaxRevo 1500w
    - Corsair AX1200
    - Silverstone Strider 1500w

Cheers guys.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

3. dead beat

Yeah I did have a look at that review actually. I would say the Enermax is at the top of the list atm. I'm going to stick with my current 1155 board for the time being and probably wack an Ivybridge CPU in there when they come out. TBH I really don't need any extra processing power, so switching to a different platform would just be a waste of cash for me.

When Keplar is released I will most likely pick up a few 28nm Gpu's (whether that be Nvidia or AMD), so I just want a unit that will be able to overclock three cards without any hassle. Think I'm going to move my current rig into a Dimastech easy bench, so I can mount a massive rad to it and make the most of my waterloop.

How quiet is the Enermax unit? Any whine or such?

4. thetrashcanman

Ah dude there's no way you'll need a 1500W PSU for Ivy Bridge CPU, even with like 2 gtx 780's or something like that I reckon the most you'll need is a 1000W, Maybe look at the AX1200?

Or if you want to future proof yourself then I would suggest the Enermax be top of your list :)

And no wine, to me it's pretty much silent dude, probably one of the quietest fans in my system :)

5. dead beat

Future proofing is also a consideration. The extra cost of the 1500w PSU's is negligible, so I'd rather just get something decent and not have to worry about it for a while.

6. thetrashcanman

Well then I would thoroughly suggest the Enermax unit, but that is just my opinion, I know TG has the Silverstone unit and from what I remember him saying it is also a very good solid PSU :)

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Corsair are good Enermax are better mine's pretty much silent

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

pretty much silent?
    Corsair the fan doesn;t spin when your computer is idle.. you can't be more silent than that.

But what I wanted to say:
    All of these are great brands, BUT if you buy the cheap one... you'll get cheap. Look for the high-end models. In the case of Corsair HX or the better AX series.

9. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I do not buy into the concept that future proofing equals the need for more power. Each die shrink actually reduces the power requirements. Granted manufacturers generally use this to add more transistors thus increasing performance.

I would expect your current build would have a peak power consumption of around 800W and I would not expect that to increase substantially in the future.

10. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Just for info Corsair are made by 3 different companies:

1.) Channel Wells HX750/850 and I think HX1050

2.) Seasonic AX850/750 and HX650 and lower

3.) Flextronics AX1200

Here's link:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,review-32187-5.html

Last edited: 21 Jun 2012
  11. dead beat

I meant future proofing in the sense that I would want to add more hardware.

12. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I cant' say for Flextronics, but I can say that Channel Wells and obviously the king: Seasonic, is good one to consider. But Channel Wells (CWT), while they have consumer power supplies, they focus is more on servers and OEM's.