Graphics Kepler rumor mill at full tilt!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prophet, 16 Jan 2012.

1. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Couple of interesting bits floating around the www today!

First off:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25576-nvidia-kepler-schedule-revealed
    Schedule from fud (nice) - The GK110 high end part could be tipping up in april under the guise of the GTX680. All that about 6xx series being mobile parts and 7xx desktop parts blown out of the water.

Secondly:
    http://www.eteknix.com/news/gtx-680...aign=gtx-680-to-arrive-at-the-end-of-february
    Apparently the GTX680 (same name, different source) will be showing as early as the end of February and is going to be the part competing directly with HD7970 offering similar performance.

Interesting I think. If it is only similar performance to that of the 7970, not a lot to stop AMD dropping prices and trashing price-perf-watt figures of nVidias new part. As soon as the end of Feb for a launch seems a bit of a longshot but hey ya never know. I assume this part is going to demand roughly what the 7970 is going for at the moment, as everyone know it's ok for nVidia to charge an arm and a leg. There more reasonable priced parts appear to be on the cards for june. With the imminent release of the HD7950, End of Jan/Early feb, this is going to give AMD even more sales! Might well be another interesting couple of months!

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You should of posted this in the 'GTX 780 twice as fast as GTX 580' thread. ;)

3. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

I didn't like the title of that thread :p it didnt incite people to make up horrendous rumours of ridiculous proportions and back them up with unreliable sauce enough!

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Can't have too many threads about the Kepler ! ! ! :lol:

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

If the 680 (or w/e) is similar performance to the 7970, I would pay the extra to use Nvidia drivers (tho both would have to come down in price for me to dip)

6. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

If Kepler ships with with an Eyefinity equivalent, AMD/ATI is screwed.

7. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

My own personal experience from the cards I've owned a mix of both nVidia and ati. Ati 9700, x800 xt pe, x1900, x1950, 3870xt and 4870 never had an issue with any of these in any games I have played and the cards all lived their required life and were sold on. NVidia I had a gf2 which died on me and an 8800gt I sold after a week due to driver issues. Driver issues are massively blown out of proportion imo. Personal experience should ward me from nVidia but I'm not biased and would do the sensible thing and get the best performing for my money.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Driver either work, or not. Both ATI and nVidia I have had same amount of issue. However for UI the nVidia contol panel is way less of a mess.
    What I most want to see is card length coming back down. Especially in the high end cards. Need to try harder in making them not exceed the length of the motherboard so fitting in any case is not so big an issue. A lot more people are going with smaller platforms and cases these days and not want to settle for midrange.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My own personal experience from the cards I've owned a mix of both nVidia and ati.
    FX5200, FX5800 (dog poo), ati 9800 pro, x850xt, 280, HD4870, GTX 460, GTX 460 x 2.

I haven't had any problems in games, I have had problems with recent (last 2 years) catalyst being an intrusive pos.

This is my opinion after first hand experience of both, good luck trying to tell me otherwise.

I would currently rather have nvidia if the performance is the same all day long and I am no fanboy.

The ati 9800 pro is the best card I have ever owned bar none.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Nvidia already have an attempt at matching Eyefinity, but it's playing catch-up at best. Their sights are on 3D, even 2D multimonitor is an afterthought of 3D multimonitor. Since there hasn't been a single mention of 3D Surround's feature set increasing it's fairly safe to assume that we're looking at only minor improvements if any.

11. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Hardly, I think you will find eyefinity users account for much less than 1% of the people who purchase AMD GPU's

12. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

I just feel like apart from price vs. performance (which differs at different budgets) Eyefinity is the only thing AMD/ATI has over nVidia :)