Other Help me find the problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ballastix, 30 Jan 2012.

1. ballastix

ballastix What's a Dremel?

Right here is the problem I have. Sunday I experienced a random freeze (windows not responding, mouse and the horrible audio glitch). Restarted and ran a burn test and all was fine. It then happened again that evening, so I downloaded Memtest. I was about to restart and run the test when the freeze happened again. I restarted it and it would not post, It made a beep/screech sort of noise then attempt to post again. It does this two times and successfully posts on the 3rd, but It will not boot into windows. After swapping the Sticks around in various configurations I have worked out that all three sticks work fine, but when I use the middle DIMM slot the same fault appears.

After finally getting into windows with 2 sticks (the outside slots in use) all seemed to be working ok. I restarted to be sure and this time my REVO drive wouldn't pick-up one out of the two 55GB drives on the REVO drive. Went into the REVO drive bios and it cannot pickup one of the 55GB drives on the PCB, this is dead for sure.

The only previous issues I can think of would be the motherboard BSODS everytime I connected a USB 3.0 device to a 3.0 port. Im currently running WIn7 off a HDD with 4GB ram (outside 2 slots) and all is stable.

So I want to know what do I need to RMA/replace, I know for sure the REVO drive is dead and most likely the motherboard or RAM. But when I get home tonight im going to try a known working stick in the middle slot. Im guessing if that works, then it is the RAM, and if not the motherboard?

Sorry for the wall of text.

System Specs:

Asus Sabertooth x58 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 950 @ Stock
    Corsair XMS 3x2GB 1600Mhz
    120GB REVO Drive x4 PCIE SSD
    EVGA GTX570 HD Graphics Card
    Win 7 Ultimate.

2. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

With regard to RMA'ing, have you contacted the manufacturer to enquire about returning the product? If all memory sticks are working fine in certain slots but not one, it does look like the mainboard slot may have developed a fault.

3. ballastix

ballastix What's a Dremel?

Yes its looking that way unfortunately. I have a friend coming over with known working RAM so after that we will see whether or not to RMA the board. The SSD has been RMA'd today which I can live without. Just hoping Scans usual slow RMA process doesn't take as long this time!

4. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Its never good having to RMA anything, but at least you found the issue and are able to RMA!